Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems pretty easy to rid the rear tire of chicken strips. They are gone after the first couple hundred miles, but the front when I change it always seems to have about a 16th inch or so of chicken strip left on it. Part of it I think is that when I get into any kind of a lean angle, I shift my weight to keep the bike more upright because well, I'm chicken! :D Not that I want to, but, just wondering if you have to drag your knee to get to that last bit of strip on the front?

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
The more you shift your weight off the bike (to the inside) the LESS bike lean you need. The width of the front tire relative to the rear makes a difference... equal lean angle will result in the contact patch being at different spots so it will always be "easier" to get to the edge of the rear before the edge of the front.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just spend a couple hours lapping the twisties before Boccali's at the top of 150, you'll get comfortable enough to erase those chicken strips!

:doublethumb

·
Registered
692 Posts
You're doing the right thing by shifting weight to the inside and keeping the bike as upright as possible. So forget about whether you have chicken stirps or not, and just keep the rubber side down.

·
Premium Member
24,293 Posts
It seems pretty easy to rid the rear tire of chicken strips. They are gone after the first couple hundred miles, but the front when I change it always seems to have about a 16th inch or so of chicken strip left on it. Part of it I think is that when I get into any kind of a lean angle, I shift my weight to keep the bike more upright because well, I'm chicken! :D Not that I want to, but, just wondering if you have to drag your knee to get to that last bit of strip on the front?
No you do not this is in my album with a few others similar, this is from road riding only, my 955 St never saw a track, well it did see one but it never ran on one:

What front chicken strips?:D

cheers
Dave:)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just spend a couple hours lapping the twisties before Boccali's at the top of 150, you'll get comfortable enough to erase those chicken strips!

:doublethumb
Been through there a few times, but never really pushed it too hard. :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No you do not this is in my album with a few others similar, this is from road riding only, my 955 St never saw a track, well it did see one but it never ran on one:

What front chicken strips?:D

cheers
Dave:)
Yeah......show off. :p

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
See what a belt sander can do.......:p

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have about 1/8- 1/4" chicken strip on my rear tire. I'm a bit fearful of going all the way on the rear and losing some of the contact patching and having an ooopsie moment. The front tire has lots leftThe front is more curved than the rear so it would be a lot harder and probably dangerous to erase the strips...JMO YMMV.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I wouldn't push tires on roads like Port Renfrew/Lake Cowichan loop. Pavement is too inconsistent.

Out to Pt Renfrew is dicey but not too bad. Out to Jordan River is fine. They've actually done some paving and replacing 1 bridge.
Since I'm in Sooke, Sooke rd can sometimes be nice as long as there's no traffic on it.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
My first ride on the new Sprint was the Port Renfrew/Lake Cowichan loop this June after picking it up at Savage. new bike, new tires, wet roads, iffy pavement... lots of fun!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Front chicken strips

Yeah same here. Always just a little left on the front, no probs erasing the rears...in fact I wish I could wear out the middle for a change. DaveM seems to have it sorted as his rubber is well and truly scrubbed. I've got the missus on the back most of the time and don't like to push to the limit with her on. I read on the internet that corners are dangerous...... best to get thru them as quick as you can. haha:D

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
You guys are lucky, here where I live you've gotta ride 50 miles to find a curve. "Chicken Strip"? My rear tire has a Chicken Breast down the middle of it!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Best not worry about your own strips and enjoy looking the others in the car park.
Good tyres have even more confidence than good riders.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts