Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are chicken strips??? Are you guys talking about the little nubbies on the tires?

I have a fear that if I drag a footpeg, it will pinch my foot and I will lose it (the bike, probably not my foot). Or I will go too far and take weight off tires and will end up on my arse.

I was thinking of training wheels concept. If I put in longer bolts in place of the peg scraper things. I could get the sensation at a lot less lean and speed, as a learning tool. Is this a good idea or no?

I have all the confidence in the world for the bike. Not so much confidence in the operator.:eek:

Thanks!

·
30,406 Posts
Well, the chicken strips are the edges of your tires which are unused. If you look at the rear tire you will see a clear strip that has not been scrubbed by contact with the road. That's the chicken strip.

As for learning to lean, practice and experience. You need to learn how to judge the tightness of the bend so that you can see how fast to safely ride around it. Maybe get to know a few bends on your favourite road, and practice on those.

Also, check out our riding and survival tips forum for further advice - you can find it in the general section of the main forum.

I wouldn't replace the hero blobs on the footpegs (the bolts sticking down), just get some practice in. I have scraped footpegs on several bikes, including the Bonnie, and have never had an issue, becuase they are hinged to fold up. I wouldn't want to scrape a non hinged peg - it might dig in, that would be no good.

So practice - but take it easy and be safe, yeah?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Drag

I have dragged my left knob on a number of occasions on my favorite twisty (realsmooth road) I dont have the same secure feel doing it on the right side?Dont know why, just feels less secure to me. It is fun tho!!

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Just the opposite of Don for me.On ramps and right turns are sharp and quick,left turns are much wider and more cognizant of oncoming traffic.I feel more in control with the throttle closer to me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would not be too concerned with how much lean you can get out of the Bonnie. They will only go over so far and start scrapping metal parts long before the tires start showing wear on the edges.

Chicken Strips are the concern of Sportbike guys....not Retro Crusiers. Just ride the bike and don't ever thing about pushing it & getting lower our you may end up in the weeds. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I have dragged my left knob on a number of occasions on my favorite twisty (realsmooth road) I dont have the same secure feel doing it on the right side?Dont know why, just feels less secure to me. It is fun tho!!
Same here. Maybe its because I have a Scrambler and the pipes are on that side.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Leaning and dragging on the street is a dicey proposition. I'd update your suspension before you go all Rossi on us. The Bonnie is a suprisingly easy bike to corner. It's no D675, but you do have to allow more time to set up. Heck, I rarely get all over my Daytona. Most bikes do just fine with the ol' half cheek off and a firm push. There are very few places where leaning is needed and more importantly, where it is safe.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not that I want to look cool parked. It's the idea that being able to drag the pegs is the standard by which you can ride the limit of the bike. I have no interest in killing myself, I just want to be a good rider and know I can ride to the capability of the machine.

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Believe it or not, I got comfortable dragging pegs when I took my MSF course to get my license. I was on a Honda shadow something-or-other with spongy suspension and spongy breaks. I kept doing those 2nd gear turns faster and deeper until BAM!! peg scraping! I must have had an OH SH*T expression because the instructor just started laughing. Anyway, I got to the point where I could do it at will on that dopey Honda.

Now when I dive into a turn at speed on the Bonne, a little peg scrape, a rare thing actually, just brings a smile and fun memories.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I just want to be a good rider and know I can ride to the capability of the machine.
Right, its obvious your not trying to fastrack to squid status. There are many agricultural roads in my area. They are well maintained, have many 90 degree turns with good line of site, and very important have light traffic.

I'll go to an area and ride it a few times to check for debris and other problems. Then ride back through a few times picking up the pace just a little each pass. Its a public road so I ride accordingly. Hopefully you have a similar area near your home.

But far and away the best deal is to sign up for a track day. Make sure they offer sessions for beginners. They will often have instruction in a classroom or pit area, and group leaders with you on the track. Most importantly, the track is generally in good condition, is designed for fun, traffic flows the same direction, and corners are built with safety in mind. It will do wonders for your confidence, prove how capable your bike is, and you'll have a blast. You guys have many tracks around Houston. We were having to go to Houston, Dallas or Bryan College Station, but just had a track open in San Marcos! W00t!

·
Registered
68 Posts
chicken strips

I thought chicken strips were the little danglies that adorn new tires! Dragging foot pegs ain't so bad...but I did drag a toe once (that wasn't a pleasant experience). On corners its best to slide your foot back on the peg away from the shifter and break lever anyhoo-less chance a surprise bump in the road could cause an accidental gear shift or rear break tap.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
There is good advice here. Slide the toes back and put the ball of your foot on the peg when leaned over. I dragged my toe but it just startled me.

I like the "half cheek off and a firm push". i would add a head bob and shoulder shift to the inside.

Agricultural roads are where I did a lot of "training" - good advice there too.

The Bonny pegs are pretty high. On my old KZ I practically wore the pegs into 45 degree angles. But I just checked my bonny pegs and they are still virgin. Okay that may be because I am 20 years older but I can lean pretty well and can really dive the bonneville into a turn.

You guys actually scrape pegs? Stock? Wow you must be hauling her over.

Sal Paradise.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Rob 93ZR-1, Forget the chicken strips -- ride your own bike and don't worry about what others think. The bike will lean more as you get more confident. The pegs are like curb feelers. They are a sort of safety device that alerts you long before the frame touches down that you are approaching the bike's clearance limits. When the frame hits the ground, the tires start to leverage off the ground and then it's crash time. So when you feel the pegs scrape, just back off a bit. As long as you keep your toes back, there shouldn't be a problem. Unless you are riding on gravel or some other sort of slippery surface, the tires have plenty of grip to hold the curve with the pegs scraping. Relax and enjoy.

·
Registered
245 Posts
maybe because you are working the throttle and pressing that side of the bars? i get the same feeling, but i'm starting to expect it now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can get the Bonnies way over. I routinely scrape the pegs on twisties. The bike can handle it, but mind you if you hit a big bump when you are that far over and the suspension is compressed, it could be low-side time. Still, the geometry of the bike can handle it. First will be the pegs then the exhaust, then the frame at which point its over. But that would be way low.

I have a good little video and me scraping both sides in a fast switchback that I will try to post. Nice little sparks show.

Haggis95, you are scraping your left toe because you are leaving it under your shifter probably. The right foot always stays above the brake. I had the same problem, and I have started lifting my feet a little when I know I am going to lean way in.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hudson ,

I would like to see that video. I am not complaining but I haven't scraped my pegs on my Bonneville. I can and do hang of the inside a bit so that may be why. that or I ride really slow.:)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Wow. Maybe I'm slow too. I guess, with this bike, I never really gave it much thought. Seems to heel over nicely enough in the month or so since I've been riding it. The (stock) tire profile, at least to my eyes, does not seem to provide a whole lot to work with, but it also seems more than adequate in practice.

Now I'm going to have to inspect my tires when I leave the office tonight. I might develop a complex...:(

1 - 20 of 43 Posts