Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 TBS and was wondering if there is a trick to seeing the water level? Even with the gas tank off and shining a light into the overflow tank I can not see the water level looking at the gray tank from the outside. I can look down through the fill whole and see the fluid level is but I would rather not take the gas tank off to check the water level every time. Is there a trick to make the water level show up looking at it from the outside?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Header Tank

The header tank, can with age, become almost opaque. In this condition it is very difficult to check the water level. You could try removing the plastic tank and scrubbing out the inside with an old bottle brush. Sometimes grunge bulids up on the inside.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
I can just about make the level out, with the tank on and shining a torch right at it. It can be tricky, especially with one hand holding the torch and the other holding the bike upright.

It may help to give the bike a little shake, that makes it easier to spot the fluid level.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Try pressing a small light right up against the tank, it should light it up from the inside - then give the bike a little shake

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, so its not just me. My problem has become moot as it has developed a small crack near the full line and leaks a small amount of fluid. I have ordered a new one. My only problem now is to try to find a way to seal the crack so I can keep riding until the new one arrives.

·
Registered
980 Posts
leak fix

Araldite or any two part epoxy will keep you on the road, the tank is only an expansion tank so is not any pressure. Just try and scuff up the tank with a bit of sandpaper to key the surface before you use the glue. This will last as a permanant repair

While you have the tank off, part fill it with gravel, give it a good shake and hopefully when you empty it it will be clean enough to see through to check the water level. Using blue anti freeze rather than the yellow also helps see the level more clearly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts