Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big a job is checking the valve clearence of my bonnie.

·
Registered
49 Posts
G'day MotoLink...
...If you ain't phased by a bit of spanner work then it's a snack....

.....you simply must get yourself a copy of the Haynes manual which spells it out in detail..

....shows you where you must position the cams...pay very close attention to this cause there are a couple of positions that can fool you...start the motor in the wrong ones and you'll most likely bend the valves....

......there are the 3 variables that you must have correct
1. the line up marks on the cam drive cog and the cam cogs..dots and lines
2. the cam drive has the word top punched into it on the right side ( right as when sitting on the bike)...this of course has to be at the ......yep ..top
3. and the cam lugs on the right ends have to be in the correct position...inclined towards one another at about half way between vertical and horizontal.....see the Haynes manual page 1.18 under Valve clearance check and adjustment, photo 24.6...

if these things are correct the piston should be at the top of its' stroke which is the final check...take the plugs out and as you turn the motor over to get the cams in the right position hold a pencil in the plug hole so you will be aware of the piston being at the top of it's stroke as it pushes the pencil up..
..you will of course need access to a micrometer..I got a good quality digital one from Gibboes for about $60 ..I think repco have got a similar one also..and feeler guages...a star type alen head ..the cam holders are held on by these and are a type of security nut..yep at repco...and a tension wrench to get these babies back in at the right torque....strip 'em and off comes the head to retap if it's one of them under the frame..

....and make sure you stick some rags down the shaft where the cam chain runs or you'll end up with Dazco's drama..i.e. dropping bits down into the guts of the crankcase..

...just take your time and it is quite satisfying to do..

.....cheers...

ps... I found I did not need to drain the engine oil and so remove the alternator cover ..I just lightly flicked the starter button until I got the cams in the right positions...if you get the three things I mentioned in the right spots the line they mention on the alternator that you line up with the join in the crankcase will be in the right spot..

....you will also need the locking pins as described on page 2.15 of the trusty manual.. Section 8. Camshafts, shims and followers. paragraph 6...I made mine out of some mild steel bolts that I just ground down on the bench grinder ..Pic 8.6b...worked fine...it will all become crystal clear as you read this section......

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
all he wanted to do was check the clearance, ya know.
after putting the cams in the right position, just check clearance with a feeler guage.
if an adjustment is needed, it gets a little more complicated
G

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Here's a procedure I've used for years to move the cams into the correct position. It eliminates having to remove the alternator cover to manually turn the engine over.

(a) Put the bike on the center stand, or somehow lift the back wheel clear of the ground.
(b) Put the bike in top (5th) gear.
(c) Bump the rear wheel in the direction of travel by hand while watching the cams move into the correct position for checking them. This is easier if you are changing spark plugs at the same time and have them removed prior to bumping the engine.
(d) Once in the correct position, check the clearances with feeler guages.

Checking clearances is a simple procedure that shouldn't take more than 30 minutes if you're comfortable removing the fuel tank and cam cover. Checking clearances is covered in both the Triumph Service Manual and the Haynes Manual.

Bob

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'd also recommend getting one of those cheap impact drivers to get those torx screws of of your cam caps or you'll be twisting off a few torx driver bits trying to unscrew them! :wink:

·
Registered
49 Posts
ohiorider...
....now that's a ***** good trick...never ceases to amaze me how there is usually an easier way of doing something mechanical..

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Yeah, the software is pretty persnickety..... for example if you want to call something that goes to the junkyard s.c.r.a.p. and type it in, you get..........s****. I think.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Ask us what time it is and we will probably tell you how to build a watch. :-D

Larry

·
Registered
49 Posts
...Mecchanica...I suppose it keeps someone gainfully employed..

...and that sure is a fine set of wheels you got collected there..must be a real quandry deciding which one to go for a squirt on I reckon....
..I'm thinking of building a Triton...the Trump motor in the Norton featherbed frame....havn't got one of those frames hanging about that you would care to part with...?

cheers

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for advice, now what should the clearence be and is it checked hot or cold?.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Motolink,
Valve clearances are measured COLD at least overnight
Inlet Valves 0.15 to 0.20 mm
Exhaust Valves 0.25 to 0.30 mm
I really recommend you getting a manual.

Darcy

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Darcy, where can I get a manual in Australia, thanks mate.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I got mine from jenks I couldn't get one in Aust at the time.

I googled Haynes Manual Triumph and got this

Pitstop

I have nver heard of them so no comments either way. The price is about what I paid.

[ This message was edited by: DickBender on 2007-01-27 16:51 ]

·
Registered
426 Posts
Is there really such a thing as a 'cheap' impact wrench? They all seem to require an air compressor, is there a manual impact wrench?

·
Registered
246 Posts
All he meant was an impact driver like this:

They work great for breaking free those stubborn fasteners.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Wow - gotta get me that.. but I can't google 'manual impact wrench', all that comes up is air driven.
I'll keep looking ... thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
On 2007-01-29 18:23, merlin wrote:
Wow - gotta get me that.. but I can't google 'manual impact wrench', all that comes up is air driven.
I'll keep looking ... thanks.
You want a Craftsman 47641 Impact Wrench. Well worth it.

Rich

[ This message was edited by: raproe on 2007-01-29 18:57 ]

·
Registered
426 Posts
Terrific, thank you. I was searching impact 'wrenches' - it comes up under 'drivers'. The valves are the next job coming up so I'm off to Sears...
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts