Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do this on a certain time schedule? If you do, how do you do it and what tool(s) do you use?

Thanks

·
Registered
745 Posts
I do it at every chain lube since the bike is lifted anyway.
It gives me an opportunity to clean the rim, hub and spokes as well.
I usually take the "dumb end" of my grunge brush and let it lightly rest against the spokes as I spin the wheels. A loose spoke sounds out of tune and a broken one will bring tears to your eyes...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
A while back Triumph issued a service bulletin advising owners to check their spokes before every ride (!), but I doubt anyone does. I don't, but then I've replaced my rear wheel for one with a Talon hub so I'm not expecting any problems (your bike will have the revised design rear hub anyway). Personally I don't check mine but I'm lazy. They get checked once a year by the guy that does my MOT (yearly mandatory safety check). Clyde's regime sounds reasonable to me.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Use any convenient drumstick.
A screwdriver, small spanner, 'grunge brush'?.........

Bing, bing, bing, bong?..... then tighten! :)

I do it any convenient time Im down there on my hands and knees.
Mainly because its generally a struggle to get back up again, so best make the most of it while Im there! :D

V.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I do it any convenient time Im down there on my hands and knees.
Mainly because its generally a struggle to get back up again, so best make the most of it while Im there! :D
LOL! I could have written that!

I check mine every time I clean the rear wheel, which is every ... oh, couple of months?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I check tire pressure, spokes, oil level, horn, lights, and all nuts and bolts before EVERY ride, very much like a "pre-flight" check. For the spokes, I use a very long phillips screwdriver and "tink" each spoke in the same place listening for differences between spokes. There are sound differences but not much. A loose spoke would "thud" rather than "tink," and a broken one would be very obvious. It is worth it to spend this time and effort as my rides are never less than 6-8 hours.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I check tire pressure, spokes, oil level, horn, lights, and all nuts and bolts before EVERY ride, very much like a "pre-flight" check. For the spokes, I use a very long phillips screwdriver and "tink" each spoke in the same place listening for differences between spokes. There are sound differences but not much. A loose spoke would "thud" rather than "tink," and a broken one would be very obvious. It is worth it to spend this time and effort as my rides are never less than 6-8 hours.
For a bike not in regular use, I think that's a wise approach. For those who ride every day, those items would be down to regular checks, perhaps weekly or fortnightly.

If you clean your bike weekly, you'll spot a broken spoke before it has time to do any harm. I would only do your 'pre-flight' routine before a trip away from home of several days. For long day-rides, the regular checks are enough for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Anyone do this on a certain time schedule? If you do, how do you do it and what tool(s) do you use?

Thanks
I'd add to these questions 2 more. Is there a risk that the nipple can damage the tube when turning it to adjust spoke tension? and secondly, looking at my rear rim the spokes are straight, so how do I prevent the spoke rotating while turning the adjusting nipple. Or are the spokes inserted through a hole with a flat side on the hub preventing rotation?
Cheers
Russell :confused:

·
Premium Member
722 Posts

Thanks
Never have, and really don't understand the failures that many folks have had.

I have a late 2008 model and from what I have read, most folks who have had spoke problems have earlier year models.

That, and the seeming fact, that most who I have read that have had problems with spokes breaking, either leave their bikes outside in the elements, ride them in the rain, and/or ride them exceedingly hard, meaning; running over pot holes, goat trail roads, and the like.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, regardless of how hardy you think these spectacular Triumph twins are, they are never the less, naked bikes, that do not react well to the deteriorating aspects of weather, salt, and dirt.

It behooves anyone who does not desire problems with the electrics, rusting header bolts, rims failing, etc., etc, to keep them warm, CLEAN, and dry.

And that does not mean washing them with a frickin' hose! The water that you spray on it will find it's way into the recesses that you don't want it to be, and stay there to rot.

I clean my bike by hand -pretty regularly, including the rims and spokes, so I would find a loose one pretty fast if I ever had one.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Never have, and really don't understand the failures that many folks have had.
Well you won't as your bike has a different design of rear hub with straight pull spokes. You are wrong to conclude that those who have had rear spoke failures have brought it upon themselves by neglect or abuse. The former hub design was poor and was changed by Triumph to one they had previously used on the Tiger and Thunderbird. Not that they would ever admit there was a problem with the previous hub design, but why change it otherwise?

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
I check tire pressure, spokes, oil level, horn, lights, and all nuts and bolts before EVERY ride, very much like a "pre-flight" check.
Jeez, no offence, and to quote Jeremy Clarkson, you sound like the type who thinks the best part of having sex is unwrapping a condom and reading the instructions

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Jeez, no offence, and to quote Jeremy Clarkson, you sound like the type who thinks the best part of having sex is unwrapping a condom and reading the instructions

I laughed so hard when I read that, that a little bit of snot flew out of my nose and hit the screen.

:D:D

I also have never checked my spokes and only check my oil and chain, every 1000km`s.

I DO check my tyre pressures every week though, they rubber tubes usually bleed a pound or two of air out, per week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts