Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so how do you guys check the oil levels on your bikes without risking a fall over. That site glass is so tucked away, it's impossible to see without either a centerstand (which I don't have), or an assistant !

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Its not so bad. Straddle the bike and lean over to peek. You'll get used to it. Using a flashlight (torch) helps make a fast job of it.

·
30,527 Posts
I have a centerstand so obviously it's easy that way, but before that I just crouched next to the bike, and pulled it upright with the handlebar while applying the front brake. It doesn't roll anywhere, and you're pulling it towards you so that you have it under control. No problem really. Then gently lower it back onto the sidestand.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I guess I am old school, but I love having a centerstand, it makes maintenance easier and parking safer. Sure wish it wasn't so expensive, but still worth it to me...

·
Registered
363 Posts
There are a lot of pluses to the centre stand. If you own the bike for any length of time, it's worth it just for checking the oil and lubing the chain. Add in easier chain adjustments and making the bike more stable for maintenance work, I wouldn't be without one. The bike also takes up less room when storing for the winter.

To check the oil without one, try kneeling on the right side and pull the handlebar toward you until the bike is upright. Hold it there for a number of seconds to let the oil settle and get your reading

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are a lot of pluses to the centre stand. If you own the bike for any length of time, it's worth it just for checking the oil and lubing the chain. Add in easier chain adjustments and making the bike more stable for maintenance work, I wouldn't be without one. The bike also takes up less room when storing for the winter.

To check the oil without one, try kneeling on the right side and pull the handlebar toward you until the bike is upright. Hold it there for a number of seconds to let the oil settle and get your reading
I don't think I would want to kneel beside a 500 lb motorcycle while pulling it towards me, an accident waiting for a target IMHO !

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I don't think I would want to kneel beside a 500 lb motorcycle while pulling it towards me, an accident waiting for a target IMHO !
That's how I check the oil - on one knee I put my left arm across the seat and straighten the bike up a bit and peek at the glass.

·
30,527 Posts
It's not like you have the full 500 pounds on you - the vast majority of the weight is on the wheels still. You have to lean it a ong way over when bringinig it towards you before it will become a problem. Going away from you is very different - you can't put the same strength into holding it up - but having the bike leaning towards you is not a problem, especially if you keep the front brake on, because then it won't roll anywhere. You really need to get that comfortable with your bike anyway.

·
Registered
474 Posts
:brick: Just fork out the dough and buy a center stand or have your mom look at while you keep that 500 lb bike upright. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any recommendations for a center stand-Triumph or other brands?
I would think the classics would come with the nifty center stand.

·
30,527 Posts
Triumph and Norman Hyde are the choices I believe. The norman hyde one is not much cheaper. The triumph one is easy to fit. I like it - some don't. It's a case of personal preference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I bought my T100 part of the deal included a center stand supplied and fitted for free, wouldn't be without one. In relation to the oil level sight glass they said to just bring the bike to an almost upright position and providing oil could be seen it was OK. No need to risk over balancing the bike.
Dean

·
Registered
212 Posts
Get one of those mirrors on a stalk from the auto store. You can sit on your bike, get it perfectly upright, and then use the mirror to check the sight glass. Foolproof.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
That's how I check the oil - on one knee I put my left arm across the seat and straighten the bike up a bit and peek at the glass.
I do have a center stand but, that's exactly how I check the oil level in the sight glass.:cool:

I find that the bike is soooo incredibly balanced that it will stay upright by itself with no hands for a second or two, or three.;)

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
The other good thing about the center stand is that the motorcycle takes up significantly less space in the garage when it's upright, for those of us with small garages.

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
12,242 Posts
so how do you guys check the oil levels on your bikes without risking a fall over. That site glass is so tucked away, it's impossible to see without either a centerstand (which I don't have), or an assistant !
I used to put a couple chunks of wood under the kickstand to get the bike upright. Now I use the $20 motorcycle lift (http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts