Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at TT Motorcycles today and checked out the new Moto Guzzi V7 classic. I was fairly impressed. It didn't really sing to me like the Bonneville did back in 2001, but then again I never owned a M-G before.

I did notice quite a few bits & pieces that look like they came off my Ducati (dash, handlebar switch gear, suspension) so they at least have some decent suppliers. I've seen the dyno posts and yes I know they're under-powered. A handsom bike none the less. Waiting to see the cafe'd version.

And that new Monster 1100? Hazah!

/Mike

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Smart looking bike for sure.

I do however love that new Duc Streetfighter 1100. Oh my heck they didnt even detune the 1098 motor, its full on power. /drool

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not sure if the V7 has the Alpina tubeless spoked wheels, I think it does, I know the Stelvio and the california does.
Matter of time before all spoked wheels are tubeless like the Alpina.
JC

·
Registered
249 Posts
Good one Norton!
I saw the specs and it really lacks the Hp.
Its a Down hill with a tail wind kind of bike.
What were they thinking? Perhaps a new rider intro bike like the 883?
If they came out with a 1100 version I'd jump on it.
JC
I am glad they made that thing now maybe the hd 883 guys will have something slow enough they can race with lol.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I think the styling department ordered the tail light and indicators from the same place that Triumph does.....puke....other than that very nice.
:p

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I think the styling department ordered the tail light and indicators from the same place that Triumph does.....puke....other than that very nice.
:p
The styling of the chick riding it is pretty appealing. :)
For those interested, the difference is performance between a Harley 883...expecially with a breather and exhaust isn't much different than a Bonny. Agree the retro Guzzi needs more grunt.
The Italians really know how to style a bike however.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If it had dual front brakes and the Griso engine, I'd like it more.
If the brakes are any similar to the Breva 750 from which she shares several components, including the engine, they are definetly better than my scrambler

Not sure if the V7 has the Alpina tubeless spoked wheels, I think it does, I know the Stelvio and the california does.
Matter of time before all spoked wheels are tubeless like the Alpina.
JC
No tubeless for the V7C or the california vintage. Older calis has the tube spoke wheels, similar in look to the BMW GS. The Stelvio are tubeless and look really nice.

Good one Norton!
I saw the specs and it really lacks the Hp.
Its a Down hill with a tail wind kind of bike.
What were they thinking? Perhaps a new rider intro bike like the 883?
If they came out with a 1100 version I'd jump on it.
JC
There are rumors for a new 4V engine with a slightly higher displacement for the V7, not the current 1100 4v on the stelvio and new griso, but a more powerful 750+ CC

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
The styling of the chick riding it is pretty appealing. :)
For those interested, the difference is performance between a Harley 883...expecially with a breather and exhaust isn't much different than a Bonny. Agree the retro Guzzi needs more grunt.
The Italians really know how to style a bike however.
yea the bonny only has about 20 more rwhp lol. I hope you know a stock 883 only makes high 30s rwhp .A Stock bonny makes about 50rwhp.Biker thats fact i get my bike dynoed at a HD dealer the dyno guy showed me the dyno runs.HD only has one thing low end torque.After 1st gear there dead meat .Sure they feel like they have power but once a triumph twin hits 7000 rpm the race is over.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Before we get into a super debate about Harley 883 vs. Bonnie 865, lets remember that this thread is about the Guzzi V7.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The V7 is 40 to 105 ccs less than the Bonnie, has only two valves per cylinder, and is shaft driven. Considering all those things, the HP difference is completely understandable. I believe that MG was trying to doll up the small block to appeal to a larger audience. Fact is it has about the same ponies as a Meriden Bonneville...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Having owned a Guzzi V50 Monza (500cc) many years ago I really like this V7. I reckon it would be a perfect bike for my wife.That would get her off my back for removing the pillion and sissy bar from my America all the time.:D

·
Registered
160 Posts
I saw one these yesterday. The styling definitely appealed to me in black though I'm not so keen on White. When I sat on it though I was less impressed. The bars and switchgear all looked and felt incredibly cheap and placky. In fact it reminded me of my modern vespa. Nothing wrong with it on the vespa but it looked out of place on the Guzzi.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I saw one these yesterday. The styling definitely appealed to me in black though I'm not so keen on White. When I sat on it though I was less impressed. The bars and switchgear all looked and felt incredibly cheap and placky. In fact it reminded me of my modern vespa. Nothing wrong with it on the vespa but it looked out of place on the Guzzi.
So Moto Guzzi haven't changed much then.My mate has an original
V7 Special and that is how I would describe his.MG have the retro thing down pat.My 80's V50 Monza wasn't much better.Switch gear was identical to my brothers Ducati Pantah.
I believe they were a early Honda switch block copy!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think if they increaed the displacement to 1000cc or more, many Triumph riders would jump ship. Bigger and faster bike with a shaft drive and a retro look,

would be a a winner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts