Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year ago when I bought the bike I just used the former owner's setup (as he was not far off from me in weight) and went with it. I did do a little tweaking when I had a pillion for a while, but recently I wondered if something was wrong. MCH and I finally got around to checking my sag and sure enough, I had 50mm of travel instead of the 30 we decided to aim for. After making the adjustment, the bike felt nearly new again!

FWIW, the rear preload was 26 clicks out from full stop) factor setting is 25). Now I'm at 15 clicks out and it feels REALLY good. the front was at 9mm out and we went to 8, just taking up a bit of slop there. My bike has 18k miles, which might account for this change, especially in the rear.

If you've never rounded up a buddy and actually done this, I suggest you do...it makes a world of difference.

[ This message was edited by: SR1 on 2006-11-18 16:23 ]

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I go through this process at regular intervals, about every six months.

If youre running stock springs they will be sacked out by about 40,000kms. I found that I nearly ran out of adjustment on the preload at both ends to get it to 35mm of sag. This means the springs are on the soft side. When it comes time for replacement I will get springs that are about 20% stiffer. I did this on my 99 ST and it worked a treat.

The other little thing that helps for now is to put 15wt fork oil in the front. From the factory its about 10wt, but also breaks down to a watery grey sludge quite quickly. Like all things its down to personal preference, but I found it helps feel and to keep the front planted on bumpy sections.

And of course adjust one suspension setting at a time so you know what has had an effect.

:hammer:

Cheers,
Brett.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts