Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a ride this morning and my left side bag fell off. I am AR about that type of thing so I knew it was locked on. It slid down the road at about 60MPH. I am really impressed that the damage was only cosmetic. It is ugly but mounted back on. Upon closer inspection, the latch and rear contact area of the bike mount are worn down about a 1/4 inch on both sides of the bike. I guess from loaded travel. With the bag locked in place you can push it forward and the latch will pop off leaving the bag unsecured. I am working on ways to fix it. I was thinking about building up epoxy in the contact areas to make up for the wear. Any thoughts?

BTW, anyone have a left bag for sale in Platinum?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi guys I mig welded the latch wear it hooks over I made the hook wider then painted them didnt take long chepper than fixing the bags from gravel rash

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had noticed my left side bad getting looser. My dealer had once recommended bending the metal tab of the bike mounted metal catch. This was easier said than done. What I did was glue a few layers of rubber(from an inner tube) on the metal catch of the bike. Now it fits nice and snug and the side bad is much more stable. Actually, I had my right side bag fall off once but it was due to it not being locked. I will never forget watching the bag slide down the street parallel with the bike. That was an expensive lesson for me considering the price of the pannier.

Ride on.

Paul

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone know where I can buy Triumph paint (Platinum). Not touchup paint. I am going to sand the bag and have it painted. Just have to make sure it matches.

·
Registered
130 Posts
On 2006-12-19 10:57, Trophy1298 wrote:
Anyone know where I can buy Triumph paint (Platinum). Not touchup paint. I am going to sand the bag and have it painted. Just have to make sure it matches.
Any good paint shop should be able to match it. They can scan the unscratched area and make a perfect match. I've been amazed at the seamless blending they can achieve, even with metallics. If your bike's been in the sun a lot, the original paint won't be exact anyway.

If you want to spray it yourself, some shops will mix up a jar for you, and so will many auto body supply shops.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all.. Despite the number of miles the paint is in great shape. Recently replaced a side panel (due to a piece of wood trying to tackle me) and the paint matches fine. Can not tell which panel is the new one.

There is a custom paint shop in the town I will be in for the holidays. I'll check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts