Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being still undecided whether to buy a Speedmaster, America or a Bonnerville T100 I made yet another trip to a Triumph dealer.

After being there for about 40 minutes the subject got around to old Triumps. Bonnervilles in particular. We were discussing how good the Bonny still looked because it still had the original Bonny look (seat & spoke wheels) etc. The guy who owns the dealership, who had been standing there listening to our conversation chirped in with "If you want a Bonnerville that looks like a Bonnerville you had better buy one quick". So I replied why is the price going up?

NO HE REPLIED
"AS FROM LATER THIS YEAR THEY ARE ALL GOING TO HAVE ALLOY WHEELS"

Whether it was bull s**t to get me to buy quickly or it's true I don't know. Next time you're in your Triumph dealer ask the question.:eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here in the UK only the T100 ,Scram & Thrux will keep the spokes. Have a look at the Triumph web site.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is true. Only the new model 70's look Bonny will have the alloy wheels.
I would happily get rid of my spokes, dont like em. The tires keep going down every few weeks [ I know this should not happen with tubes but they do] Tales of spokes breaking and puncturing tyres at high speeds, the ball-ache of cleaning them etc. I wish my 07 T100 has alloys. Not sure if I can fit a set off a newer bike but am looking into it. I loved those Lester alloys on the 70s T140.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Afraid you would be disappointed with alloy rims, Dave--that is as far as holding air pressure better. The problem is with the valve cores not sealing properly in the valve stems (the sealing surface is just a tad too small), and the problem is just as bad or worse with the tubless valve stems. My Bonnie will hold air at the same pressure for months (after going through many valve cores to find two that do not leak); however, I have not been as successful with the Tiger (it still leaks some).:(

·
29,948 Posts
I have similar experience to Redbirs - have seen no difference between tubed or tubeless in terms of air loss. Right now, all my bikes hold air pressure really well, spoked or not, but I have had issues with them all in the past.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Spokes

My tires went down 4 lbs like clockwork/ mo! Went to tire shop (friends ) to fill a month+ ago & the guy there did it for me. He musta tightened the valve- hasnt leaked a drop since! This has been going on for years! Like the mags tho. Had them on my MAGna V-45 till a utility truck changed that running a stop sign. Id LOVE the best of both worlds- a pair of both!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have an '05 TBA with spokes and after 4 years I have NEVER had any problems with the spokes. Still have the original tires with NO PROBLEMS at all. I love the spokes and would have nothing else.
David

·
Registered
138 Posts
The guy who owns the dealership, who had been standing there listening to our conversation chirped in with "If you want a Bonnerville that looks like a Bonnerville you had better buy one quick". So I replied why is the price going up?

NO HE REPLIED
"AS FROM LATER THIS YEAR THEY ARE ALL GOING TO HAVE ALLOY WHEELS"
Total crap, Frank. Just go online to the Triumph Australia website and you can clearly see that the 2009 Speedmaster, America, Bonneville (Note spelling) and Bonneville SE have alloy wheels, whereas the T100, Scrambler and Thruxton have spoked wheels. So you can just buy whatever it is that you want.

There are also still a fair number of 2008 spoked wheel base model Bonnevilles of showroom floors.

DaveO

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi DaveO, Sorry about the spelling. I should be able to get it right after owning several in the 60's & 70's. One good thing though is the spelling won't concern me any longer. I bought a 2004 Speedmaster yesterday in Brisbane. I came home from a trip to Bali with my wife and as we were in Brisbane went for a quick look around the dealers.
Just couldn't resist it.:D

FrankW

·
Registered
249 Posts
...and then came the Alpina STS
Made for the Italian Thruxton Cup Racers
Now available for the Scrambler and T100 too
Kits available for the old style and newer style hubs.
here is a shot of it on a Thruxton

Gallery Shots

10% discount for all T-Rat Members

[email protected]

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought a 2004 Speedmaster yesterday
Congratulations, Frank. I sat on an America at the Sydney m/c show and liked it a lot, and the pillion passenger approved of the seat, too. She didn't like the look of the Speedmaster seat though, but I wanted the black engine and the twin front discs.

DaveO

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi DaveO,

The pillion seat now is the problem, I am currently bidding on a touring seat on Ebay. I also like the black engine.

Frank

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Maybe I'm just an old guy, but I check the tire pressure every time I ride (OK, every other time). I've got a little $50 AirStation compressor right there, and I keep em airred up. Fact is, low tire pressure is deadly on a bike and tube or tubeless, it don't matter if they've never leaked before, they may be leaking now. :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
...and then came the Alpina STS
Made for the Italian Thruxton Cup Racers
Now available for the Scrambler and T100 too
Kits available for the old style and newer style hubs.
here is a shot of it on a Thruxton

10% discount for all T-Rat Members
So what's the price on this for a set for a Scrambler? Are these stock width/diameter?

·
Registered
249 Posts
prices fluctuate due to the euro/dollar exchange rate.
On the average it is anywhere from 980-1100 USD depending of the exchange and shipping charges.

the sizes are stock w/d
available for both new and old hubs.
Available for Thruxton Scrambler and T100

email me for more detailed info
[email protected]

JC

So what's the price on this for a set for a Scrambler? Are these stock width/diameter?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts