Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
so i got the british customs kit this week, which i wish i would have done some research before putting in the cash towards that, since i am now don't need the box they sent me after i had chopped my stock one up to make room for the pods, now i got that done and have a nifty locking storage box, was quite easy and didnt take long at all....i didnt even remove anything i just took off three screws on each side and chopped it off with a die grinder at work! ha :rolleyes:

but now the check engine light is on, im sure its normal and i just need to clear the code but waiting for the new mufflers to come in so i can get it remapped at the same time, i did this on my efi bonne and it sounds AMAZING

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Do you recall, disabling any sensors connected to the original airbox? Did you also disable the AI on your bike?

You may want to try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes or so.

You are the first to hack the airbox on an EFI Bonny on this board as I recall so unclear what the ECM implications are...my guess is you tripped a MAP or AT sensor.
Keep us posted as we are learning about the EFI Bonnies together...
George

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
12,231 Posts
As soon as I saw the check engine light on the SE I knew it would have ramifications for this forum. Soon check engine light threads will be as common as oil threads. But more productive.

It will be fun to watch the knowledge about these things accumulate here. But I think I'm glad I'm going to be swapping out jets instead of worrying about a CPU.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I hate "check engine" lights! My experience with them, all on cars, is they appear with some BS emissions crap that usually costs an arm and a leg to rectify.
It's all a bunch of voodoo mumbo jumbo created by large-brained geeks plotting to take over the planet.
But then again...what do I know.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Depends what you want. Most would prefer EFI on their automobiles...those that remember drivability of cars with carbs and some feel the same about motorcycles. Yes...EFI is a bit fussy when it comes to modifying but you can also plug in a USB cable and figure out what your A/F ratio is.
David...you ever hear of black electrical tape for covering up that pesky engine light?
:D
Geroge

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Yes, Geroge [:)], I have it over my airbag light in my truck. I suffered airbag anxiety and disconnected it. Couldn't deal with that thing sitting there, waiting to go off and push my coffee mug into my face.
I need a vehicle that dosen't nag me...and will change its own oil! Yeah, that's the ticket.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, airbags are a good thing. Saved my ass before I learned how to use those confounded seatbelt things! Telephone poles can hurt.:D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Well lets not confuse check engine lights with service engine lights. Service engine lights come on when you have driven 8,000-10,000kms without an oil change.

Check engine lights come on for a reason. I work in the automotive industry and spent many years training techs on OBDII service tools. This means I have plugged into way more than my fair share of vehicles with check engine lights on. They come on for a reason - period. It doesnt always mean that something is wrong but it is the ecu's way to talk to you and tell you that it needs attention.

So when we remove the airbox on an efi Bonnie or go in with a sawzall and start hacking you better hope that you didn't gum up the MAS airflow sensor, hack the ambient air temp sensor or disrupt a relative pressure sensor. Since there are no schematics on the EFI airbox I can't tell where the MAS airflow sensor is but I am will to bet it is inbetween the throttle bodies and the airbox.

Any old OBDII scan tool will reset the light and read any non Triumph specific codes. There are a list of codes that are used in any OBDII system so if one of those is triggered you can get that but if its a Triumph specific code then you need a Tuneboy or a Triumph Gameboy.

Your OBDII plug is probably under the seat. It is covered in a shiny black plastic boot and is upside down so you can't see the actual plug in.

Google OBDII port and you can get a pic of what the plug in actually looks like.

BTW I love the difference between Bonnie riders and their suspicions/ignorance to EFI vs Sprint, Supersports, S3, St3 and Daytona riders who all embrace and except EFI. EFI and OBDII/CAN has been one of the greatest inventions for repairs in automotive history. No fiddling, not farting just plug in and see exactly what your engine is doing at any given time. If something fails and your bike/car runs like garbage, plug in and it will tell you not only the problem but the history leading up to the problem, what your vehicle was doing when the problem occured and then how to recrete the problem to test your fix.

No voodoo, no magic just plain logic.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Cal...some Bonny owners embrace EFI. :) I respect those that prefer carbs but one of the reasons I bought the new Bonny is because it is EFI. I like it on my car too. :p
I rode the bike at lunch today. It always makes me feel good. :cool:
George
PS: I was trying to bait David into an airbag discussion but he wouldn't bite ;) I have a background in automotive crash management and if you have seen the testing I have, you always want an airbag in front of you. You want irony btw?...the guy who tries to sue the auto company for say a broken arm in a head on crash at 60 mph that he would have died from without an airbag. Sometimes airbags save the wrong guys.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
biker7 - yes airbags and antilock brakes...... had to do my fair share of plugging into those as well. That is what I like about the new CAN protocols on cars, everything is now plugged into one computer.

Oh and my comments where really generalized and not specific to anyone. I like my carbed Bonnie but I feel like I have gone back 20 years working on it. My TT600 is FI and so was my Sprint. I have a computer workstation in my garage with a monitor mounted up on the wall so I can plug in and work on those bikes and it is just so odd to go back to the jets on the Bonnies. Not a bad thing, just noticing differences.

:)

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
12,231 Posts
I like my carbed Bonnie but I feel like I have gone back 20 years working on it.
I think that's why I like the carbs, on my Bonnie. Carbs and chain, just like the good old days. I was chatting with a guy on an R6 a bit ago and I bragged my bike was the last year with carbs. He said he preferred EFI. I said, if I had your bike, so would I. It's mostly the retro feel I dig, and I deal with computers all day and it's nice to get away.

Although, the comment about checking you're AF ratio with a USB cable and laptop did make me think a second time ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i took it in to try and have them pull the codes for me, tried to charge 50 bucks, wow... told them to go F themselves.

so my bike does have ob2? wasnt sure if bikes and cars were the same if thats the case ill just hook it up at work and let everybody know shortly what the deal is

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so it was the sai valve throwing the code and it comes up immediately after i clear it so i need something to plug into those wires right under the tank to make it think its still there?

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Cal...some Bonny owners embrace EFI. :) I respect those that prefer carbs but one of the reasons I bought the new Bonny is because it is EFI. I like it on my car too. :p
I rode the bike at lunch today. It always makes me feel good. :cool:
George
PS: I was trying to bait David into an airbag discussion but he wouldn't bite ;) I have a background in automotive crash management and if you have seen the testing I have, you always want an airbag in front of you. You want irony btw?...the guy who tries to sue the auto company for say a broken arm in a head on crash at 60 mph that he would have died from without an airbag. Sometimes airbags save the wrong guys.
i love when people try and sue in situations like that. i work in healthcare and was told once of a patient who tried to sue a bystander that did CPR on him and in effect saved this person's life, but in doing compressions accidentally lacerated the persons liver. the guys ended up living and recovered from the liver lac, but sued the lay person stating he did compressions wrong, which caused the liver lac, which was true, but in return saved that guys life. it's hard not to be cynical hearing stories like that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so it seems nobody is paying attention to this thread but anyways, i thought i solved the problem the other day by jamming a paper clip in the exposed plug that the sai valve used to be connected to, cleared the code and the light stayed off....for a few miles now its back on and the code is now sai shorted instead of sai open

anybody know how to rectify this without having to reconnect the old valve, because i kind of destroyed it and sold the copper, ha ha... :(

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
so it seems nobody is paying attention to this thread but anyways, i thought i solved the problem the other day by jamming a paper clip in the exposed plug that the sai valve used to be connected to, cleared the code and the light stayed off....for a few miles now its back on and the code is now sai shorted instead of sai open

anybody know how to rectify this without having to reconnect the old valve, because i kind of destroyed it and sold the copper, ha ha... :(

So first you get piffed because the dealer wants $50 to diagnose your bike..... have you never fixed your car? I love the fact that the dealer has to buy a tool to fix your bike worth probably about $2500-4000 dollars then you get piffed when they try to charge you some cash to fix the bike. WTH? If it was you who bought the tool wouldn't you expect to make money off of it to at least pay for the tool?

If your bike is an EFI bike then it is relatively new so go get it fixed under warranty. Oh and by the way, sticking a paper clip in your socket and shorting the circuit could probably void your warranty.

BTW, Snap On Modis OBDII/CAN Scan Tool ~ $8000US
OTC Genisys ~$7500 with gas analyzer and scope
When you spend that kind of money on a tool as a shop you better make money using it.

Yes, your bike is OBD2 enabled and is probably also CAN enabled like the other Triumph EFI bikes. The bike is telling you what is wrong with the SAI code coming up and it probably means that the solonoid valve is faulty or the trigger wire is faulty.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If your bike is an EFI bike then it is relatively new so go get it fixed under warranty. Oh and by the way, sticking a paper clip in your socket and shorting the circuit could probably void your warranty.
I think the warranty went west well before the use of the paper clip. Cutting up the airbox will have sorted out warranty issues relating to fuelling and related sensors - there won't be any.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I don't think 5 minutes of their time is too much to ask after spending thousands on a bike and parts...
And yes I work on my own car. I work in a shop. I just don't do much electrical work. I'm not asking what its doing I'm asking if anybody knows a way to jump the circuit to make it think its still attached
And how does cutting the air box void warranty but putting in a BC battery box not

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
12,231 Posts
So first you get piffed because the dealer wants $50 to diagnose your bike..... have you never fixed your car? I love the fact that the dealer has to buy a tool to fix your bike worth probably about $2500-4000 dollars then you get piffed when they try to charge you some cash to fix the bike. WTH? If it was you who bought the tool wouldn't you expect to make money off of it to at least pay for the tool?
I'm not so sure about that. The hydraulic car lift at the auto dealership must cost the same or more than one of those code readers, but I don't get charged $50 just for them to lift the car. I can get tires rotated using that lift for much less than that. The lift (and code reader) is a cost of business. Seems to me a good business man would hook the car/bike up and do a quick read to help ensure he gets the business of fixing whatever the problem was. But, charging about $50 for reading the codes does seem to be par-for-the-course at the car dealers I've dealt with.

I am *so* glad I do not have a check engine light on my bike. The thought of it giving me heartburn, and costing me $50, because I pulled the AI is like fingernails on the chalkboard to me. I wavered about EFI -vs- carb with the thought of checking the AF ratio with a laptop, but this deal described here has set me straight. Retro bike needs retro fuel delivery system :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts