Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share a recent incident with my Thruxton R which is now resolved.

Issue : The Malfunction Indicator Light came on while riding (odo 3500). No limp home mode, accel/decel seemed fine. Went home and pulled the code from the speedometer display (-2 ps15). Also noticed that my rear light & brake light was out. Did some research online and assumed the MIL was probably because of that.

Diagnosis: Took it to the dealer next day. Initial diagnosis said that the ECU was not routing power to the rear of the bike for some reason. Eventually they concluded that the Ignition switch had shorted out due to a break in the wire.

Resolution: Apparently its a manufacture defect, so dealer replaced the Ignition unit under warranty and the bike is good as new.

Just got it today, glad to have it back:grin2:. Will update here if I see any further issues related to this.

Goodkarma to everybody. Safe riding out there!!

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
.... Eventually they concluded that the Ignition switch had shorted out due to a break in the wire.....

Thanks for sharing. Do you know if the wire was broken at the ignition switch or inside the wire loom that goes around the left side of the headstock (by the clutch cable)?

Other water cooled Triumph models have had wires inside the loom break because the loom is too short and/or they are pinched by the clutch cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about the last response. I believe it was at the ignition switch since they replaced the switch with the new one and gave me a new set of keys.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but my TTR is throwing the same code. I don’t have any issue with rear lights or indicators, just the MIL light currently.

My question is, is this a do it right now type issue or when I get around to it? I haven’t done the recent service bulletin service regarding the loom wiring issue with fairing, which I have on the bike. If this is same as your above issue, would that service sort this?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but my TTR is throwing the same code. I don’t have any issue with rear lights or indicators, just the MIL light currently.

My question is, is this a do it right now type issue or when I get around to it? I haven’t done the recent service bulletin service regarding the loom wiring issue with fairing, which I have on the bike. If this is same as your above issue, would that service sort this?
-2 ps15 is not an OBD code. To read the code, hold the "i" button and turn on the ignition. Release the button when you see dtc in the left window. The code will remain until cleared, even if the original fault no longer exists.

If the original fault has corrected itself, there are no problems or MI light, and only the OBD code remains, then to my mind a trip to the dealer becomes optional.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Huh interesting, thanks. I just checked it again and got P0131. According to forchetto in another thread that fault is

P0131 Oxygen sensor 1 short circuit to ground

Since the ecu is seeing a short, is that likely from the fairing wiring loom issue? Can I keep riding the bike before taking it to the dealership without causing any damage?

Also what is the -2p15 code that comes up if you keep holding the i button without releasing it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for this post!! I am having the same exact issue with my 2018 Triumph Street Twin and I'll refer the dealer techs to this as a starting point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There is a recall on the ignition switch and wiring loom assembly with the fairing installed models, please check with your dealer to have it replaced.

Wires inside the loom break with the loom being short&tight, pinching the wires and shorting the ECU. I have noticed this happening on aggressive turns.

Issue had reoccurred on mine after they had replaced it the first time. Dealer mentioned about the recall and is currently being serviced. Will report back.

I rode the bike for about 30 miles with MIL on after pinpointing the cause with no issues.
However its better to be cautious than cause damage to the engine if there is a different underlying issue. I,d suggest get it right now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just for posterity, I have an update:

On my 18' Street Twin, the brake, running and license plate lights were not functioning causing a CEL. I have been running the NRC tail for 10 months without issue. My solution was simple; replace a fuse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts