Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got finished changing the spark plugs, and took her for a spin, when the check engine light starts blaring in my eyes. Any ideas on what I should look for??

·
Registered
397 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery before removing the tank and undoing wiring?

Does it sound like the firing order is fine?[ie you didn't switch the plug cables around.]

If it sounds fine try the old ;start it up, run it up to operating temp., turn off, let it cool right down.

Do this 3 times and the light should go off. Might only need 2 cycles as you have already done one.

Other, more mechanically minded folk may have better ideas.

Good luck

AA

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
My guess is you forgot to plug a sensor in somewhere. There's two on the airbox, for instance.

Or, it's also possible you somehow unplugged the Secondary Air Injection (SAI) solenoid.

Any of this will cause the Check Engine light to come on, but the bike will still run.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm...well, did the 3 run idea...and she's still glaring at me. She is idling a little high though about 1800rpm. I didn't have any spare connections when I put the tank back on. Other than the high idle she's running fine.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Then either you need to go to a Triumph dealer and he'll diagnose and clear your fault or find someone who has a tune boy and do the same.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Sometimes it takes more than 3 cycles. I had my light on for around 4 or 5 rides after I did my cluster replacement surgery. It has since turned off but is really dimly lit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts