Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what conditions turn on the check engine light? I have an 09 Bonnie SE, I put BC slip-on's and a Power Commander 5 on the bike. The bike was fine for two days and now the light is on.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
If the engine is running fine even with the light on, then it will be warning of a condition that affects emissions or can cause possible damage to the pre-catalysers in the system, not to the catalysers as I assume your slip-ons don't have any. Things like over richness, O2 sensor disconnected, malfunctioning sensor or even a misfiring engine, etc.

If it's a California model with evaporative control fuel system try tightening your gas cap. This often solves the problem. Keep in mind that it may take several trips before the light resets.

It can often also be reset by disconnecting the battery or removing the fuse that powers the ECU for a short period (5 mins) or by using an OBDII code scanner ($40-60) to read and identify the sensor responsible and reset it.

If the condition persists, it will come back though.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The check engine light on these bikes can't be reset by disconnecting the battery. OP...your light being on is likely related to how your PC V was installed. Who did the installation? Was AI removed? If so was the AI solenoid taken off the bike? That is likely your culprit. If you want to know why your light came on, you have a simple solution. Ride the bike to the local autoparts store and have the codes read and the light reset...connector is under the seat. If you don't root cause why the light came on it will return of course. You need to provide more details of your PC V install which is likely why your light came on.
HTH,
George

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The check engine light on these bikes can't be reset by disconnecting the battery. OP...your light being on is likely related to how your PC V was installed. Who did the installation? Was AI removed? If so was the AI solenoid taken off the bike? That is likely your culprit. If you want to know why your light came on, you have a simple solution. Ride the bike to the local autoparts store and have the codes read and the light reset...connector is under the seat. If you don't root cause why the light came on it will return of course. You need to provide more details of your PC V install which is likely why your light came on.
HTH,
George
Thanks for the info, I didnt see a connector for the OBOII under the seat but I will look harder! I didnt the install and it is very straight forward. I did call Dynojet about some other questions but the insall is
pretty easy, but pulling the O2 sensors loose is a bear!!! The kit has O2 simulators to replace the O2
sensors. I still have the AI system in place. The bike has become harder to start over now that the light is on.
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Since AI is intact...your likely issue is a breach in the O2 connectors.
Shunting them with essentially resistors...baselines the ECM to a constant map so the PC V can either add or subtract fuel specific to RPM. The Check engine light should only come on if you tampered with a sensor on the bike during your install. This is what I suggest. First double check your shunt connections to the O2 sensor connectors. Then ride the bike to the autoparts store and check the codes and then reset the OBDII codes. This should be free. The generic scanner/reset tool will tell you why the ECM threw the code. This will help you trace what connection was upset when you installed your PC V...you may have pulled a wire out somewhere. Adding a PC V shouldn't affect the code system of your ECM at all because with shunted O2 connectors...it simply goes along for the ride.
Please update this thread to help others.
George
PS: the connector is a large glossy rubber cased open ended serial connector about mid point under the seat.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
For those of us with the EFI Bonnies, it may be useful to add an OBDII scanner to our tool boxes. I thought it was out of the amateur's reach until I found that they could be bought anywhere starting at $50-70 for a more than adequate unit.
I addition they'll work on most cars as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an OBD II reader I used for my 97 Trans AM.
The code was a P1684. That basically means that
the battery lost power, why it took two days to kick the light on? I dont know, yes I had to take the (-)
side of the battery off to install a line on the PCV. I
cleared the code, the light went out and I will check
for another code after I run the bike again. I do recomend everyone with cars or bike that run OBD II
that buying a reader is an essential tool! I just didnt see the reader connection. The fuel injection think is still new to me, but I learn fast! I can tune Carbs, cars or motorcycles. I have a 10.5 sec 1/4 mile Camaro I race at the drag strip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts