Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my battery out (the old one died), and I took it down to get a state inspection ($12). As I was riding to the shop 4 miles away my check engine light came on. The bike passed inspection, and I took it home to start checking things. The bike still runs great, idles great, and starts great, but the check engine light is on. So, I think what ever is causing this has to be something simple since the bike is still running so good. I’ve checked the brake fluid, radiator fluid, fuel cap, oil level, and all the fuses in the fuse box, and everything is good. I’m running out of ideas on simple problem sources. I think I may check the fans next, because in cool weather my fans can be broken and I wouldn’t notice since I don’t need them. What are some other ideas of things to check? The problem has to be something that doesn’t really affect how the bike runs, because it’s still running great.

Also I haven’t had this thing very long, so I have some more questions. I just rolled over 8k miles, will the light come on for a required service interval or anything of the sort? Does the computer keep track of oil changes and turn on the check engine light for when the oil should be changed? Do I need to/Is there a way to reset the computer when I’ve changed the battery/oil like you do on late model cars? :(

·
Registered
684 Posts
On 2007-01-11 09:09, Euro wrote:
I just rolled over 8k miles, will the light come on for a required service interval or anything of the sort? Does the computer keep track of oil changes and turn on the check engine light for when the oil should be changed? Do I need to/Is there a way to reset the computer when I’ve changed the battery/oil like you do on late model cars? :(
No, to the quoted questions.

I don't know why your engine light would be on.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The CEL can come on for anything ranging from a bad connection to a sensor, to a serious ECU problem. I would suggest going to a dealer or a friend with TuneBoy and having the ECU scanned and checked for the cause.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Double check the connections at the battery may be in order. Especially the negative.

If the CEL goes out after a few (3-5) heat/on off cycles it may be just from the battery swap?

Only difference I see is that when I swapped my battery the CEL came on directly after swapping, not 4 miles later.

Definately not a mechanic here, so I would suggest other opinions more than mine.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
about a month ago my check engine light came on. i had not started the bike for almost over a week. when i cranked'er up the engine was turning over very slow but eventually started. battery was probably low on juice or whatever. after doing that i noticed the check engine light was on. bike rode fine though. went to get gas, turned the bike off, filled it up, turned it back on, and the check engine light was still on. i was like ***. so i rode a little bit more and stopped somewhere else. when i started the bike back up the third time, the check engine light was gone. has been fine ever since.

i've read reports of people saying stopping and starting the engine a few times will clear the light if nothing is wrong with the bike. this was the case for me. hope it is for you too.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My connections are good, because I loosened them and tightened them again twice. I thought maybe if I disconnected the battery for a few mins the memorey would clear itself and the light would go out. I haven't ridden it very much since it came on, maybe 6 miles or less, so if nothing works in due time I may ride it a little more and see if it cures itself. Thanks for the ideas so far; keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
491 Posts
AFAIK the check light will come on if you disconnect the battery. 3 cold - hot - cold cycles on the engine should see the light extinguish.

·
Registered
919 Posts
On 2007-01-11 12:53, martinyoung wrote:
AFAIK the check light will come on if you disconnect the battery. 3 cold - hot - cold cycles on the engine should see the light extinguish.
+1. It will take 3 cycles to clear the light if nothing else is wrong. You can't just turn it on & off, it has to run for ~15 minutes. If you disconnect the battery again (while rechecking connections) the 3 count starts over.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On 2007-01-11 14:32, dr_gallup wrote:
On 2007-01-11 12:53, martinyoung wrote:
+1. It will take 3 cycles to clear the light if nothing else is wrong. You can't just turn it on & off, it has to run for ~15 minutes. If you disconnect the battery again (while rechecking connections) the 3 count starts over.
*****! Three times!

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Yes three times.

It's a simple way for you to know what maybe wrong. You knew you disconnected the battery, so if you did connect it to a tuneboy or the dealer's "gameboy" it would tell you that there was a low voltage situation recently.

The three cycles is so that you don't continually have to run to the dealer to get it cleared. If it doesn't clear after three cycles, then you know something needs fixing. the Check Engine light covers all kinds of sensors.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
113 Posts
that check engine light only comes on for one reason. The EFI system set a failure code. It still runs fine because there are many failsafes, so must problems the ECU can work around without sacrificing much performance. I don't know how the 02 model is set up, but somewhere there is a diagnostic connector. A scanner is hooked to that and the code can be read. There's lots of codes. But this is most likely an electrical problem, a bad sensor of some sort, or something disconnected. you said it was inspected. Was it just lights and horn? Or do they test the engine operation? Maybe something had to be hooked to the motor and they did not put it back right when done. Look it over for something to be disconnected, if you find nothing, then you must go to the dreaded dealer :mad: good luck with that.

But as a former car mechanic, if there is a problem right after work of any kind...... it is always caused by that work. ALWAYS. Except for Mitsubishis. They just break constantly. :???:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts