Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading this forum for a while, I did not find a budget solution to the harsh rear suspension on my '96 Adventurer. I couldn't see dropping $6-700 for a shock for an 11 year old bike so I took matters into my own hands. I shopped E-bay for a while, looking for a shock that I though would be at least close to what I needed. I purchased a rear shock from a 1994 ZX7 (with linkage!) for $10.00. It has no nitrogen reservoir but it has adjustable rebound damping and it was about 1/2" longer than my stock shock. Guess what? It drops right in with no modifications required what so ever! The bolt holes are the correct size. The clevis width is perfect. And the top eye width is the same as well. I just put it in (that took all of 20 minutes) and took the bike for a spin. Whoo Hoo! The harshness is gone!
The Kawasaki shock is nitrogen charged and is fully rebuildable (unlike the OEM Triumph unit). The spring rate feels fine, with room to adjust preload in either direction.
So...Start Shopping!
Here is the link to the ad:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=260153091669&rd=1

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
good find!!!!!!:rolleyes:
ditto , so how does the extra 1/2'" affect ride height ? dog bones longer = lower , shock longer = ?

i desperately need a new rear shock , but since i just got laid off 3 wks ago :(

can this post be copied (not moved) to the proper knowledge based sticky ?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
ok , been looking through my aftermarket supplier bookmarks with no luck . other than used ebay etc , are there any other places one might find a reasonably priced alternative ?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Awesome I wonder which other Kwaka shocks are the same, possibly a newer model, then one would be assured of a shocky in better condition. I'm off to the wreckers come monday.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ditto , so how does the extra 1/2'" affect ride height ? dog bones longer = lower , shock longer = ?

i desperately need a new rear shock , but since i just got laid off 3 wks ago :(

can this post be copied (not moved) to the proper knowledge based sticky ?
Rear ride height is raised a bit with the stock dog bones. This sharpens up the steering a bit, and may lead to increased nervousness at high speed. Upon taking a longer ride today, it does not seem to be a problem, though.
I live on some pretty rough New England roads and this mod has proven to be excellent, so far. A side benefit seems to be that there is less chain slapping noise (my chain is whipped, and next on the list for attention).

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be aware that in 1994, Kawasaki made both a ZX7 and a ZX7-R. The ZX7-R had a remote reservoir shock that may pose some problems with installation, although I had read here that somebody had installed a Ninja 600 remote reservoir shock by moving the battery and some other components around a bit.
I am sure that there are lots of shocks that can be made to fit with just a liitle bit of work, but the ZX7 shock is a "drop in" solution.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not measure it when I had it in my hand, but from the e-bay ad it looked like it was around 13 3/4" eye center to eye center. The stock shock was something like 13 1/4".
That 1/2" difference will lift the rear of the bike 1-2" depending on spring preload.
I love the way it makes my bike handle the bumpy twisty back roads of Western Mass.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not so fast there babaloui !

I bought a zx-7 shock and tried it on the 01 Legend last night and no-go. The top mount is too narrow for the Kaw shock and the bottom bracket of the Kaw shock is wider as well. Just a heads up for the rest of you.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I bought a zx-7 shock and tried it on the 01 Legend last night and no-go. The top mount is too narrow for the Kaw shock and the bottom bracket of the Kaw shock is wider as well. Just a heads up for the rest of you.
What year? We should try to pin down what years will or will not work.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Supposed to have been off of a 94 since I looked up the part number and it was different the following year. Yours may have worked becauise you had some linkage with it and I just had the shock itself.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did not use any of the Kawasaki linkage that came with my e-bayed shock. The 1994 ZX7 shock was a perfect fit for my 1996 Adventurer. I have had it in and out twice now (I installed a new seal and wiper kit from Race-Tech, modded the piston, and added new fluid). It is in there to stay now as the ride is *much* better.
I did not have width problems at either end, in fact, I could not imagine finding one that is any closer in dimensions. Perhaps the legend has different mounting, or your new (used) shock may have been butchered by the previous owner?
I really do not know what to tell you.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

By how much would you say the top mount is too narrow, and how much too wide is the clevis??
Perhaps your top mount got pinched somewhere along the line. Mine dropped right in with .010" or so clearance, just like the stocker.
While I had both shocks in my hands, I did an eyeball comparison of the clevis widths of the stock shock and the Kaw shock and there was no perceptable difference.
Even with the problems you stated, they would seem very easy to rectify if they are not *way* off.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
My bet is one or the other of you was mislead on what you bought, and the shock you have is not for a ZX7

If I were doing this mod I'd hang out for a remote reservoir ZX7R one - there should not be any extra problems fitting it as the TBS used a similar remote reservoir shock - in fact you could even use the TBS mounting bracket for the reservoir.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
question , after reading this thread , i snagged a 91-92 zx7 shock off ebay . will it fit also ? it was only $12.50 so no biggie if it doesn't .

wouldn't have bothered , but i was unemployed at the time . if it fits it can't be any worse than the stock one which is totally shot .

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FWIW- I checked mine against the drawings on bikebandit.com for a 1994 ZX7 and it looks like what I purchased. The drawings do not have dimensions, but many of the unique features of the shock(nitrogen shraeder valve location, spring prload collars, rebound adjustment knob) can be seen in the drawing.
The drawings for the ZX7R show a completely different unit.
Anyway, mine fit and works excellent and I am fairly certain it is what it was advertised to be.
My guess is that there are probably at least a couple of others that will fit. The bikebandit part #'s for the 1994 (and probably other years) ZX6 is very close to that of the ZX7, possibly suggesting that the only difference between the two is a slightly softer spring rate on the ZX6 unit (as they are sold as a spring/damper assy). It would probably still be fine for "Classic" duty.
I purchased mine because the seller had laid a ruler next to the eyes and I knew that the length was what I was looking for. I was fully prepared to modify the tope eye or clevis, but, to my surprise, none was needed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The top eye is probably an eighth of an inch too wide to go into the mount. Bottom is no biggie as a couple of spacers could have been used. It's no big deal as it was a $20 try to save the price of a hagon. But I do believe we're on the right track here trying to find something better off of another bike. It may also be that between the Adventurer and the later Legend the dimension changed on the mount.

1 - 20 of 330 Posts