Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a cheap alternative for penetrating fluid, try using a 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF (automatic trans fluid). Keep it away from plastics. Use a metal can to store it, similar to a plunger type oil can or a oil can like your grandpa used to use (push-in bottom).

Need a loosener for threaded bolts and nuts, warm it up first with heat, then press a white paraffin wax candle to the bolt. Liquid paraffin wax acts just like squirrel piss and will run down the threads because of low viscosity.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Cheers alittle1.

I think you mentioned your patent fluid before and I gave it a go. Excellent results, I now have a bottle handy in the workshop. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A friend of mine sent me this email to update me on what he had found out about my concoction, gives you a better idea, now.

Penetrating Oils Machinist's Workshop Mag recently published some information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen*

No Oil used .................. 516 pounds

WD-40 ..................... ....238 pounds

PB Blaster ................... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds

Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds

ATF* - Acetone mix..........53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "mix-your-own-brew" -- 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix.

*ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like Ed's Red:
Equal Parts of: ATF, Acetone, Mineral Spirits, and Kerosene.
I've substituted Tiki Torch Citronella for the Kero on ocassion and also used "hot" type laquer thinner for acetone on ocassion. (Note: "hot" describes a laquer thinner you would use on a very cold day). All dangerous stuff...use care and common sense.

·
Registered
65 Posts
during storage, wouldn't the acetone evaporate.
Probably, if you store it in a frying pan. I believe the original post says to store it in a metal can as it would probably diminish somewhat in a plastic type container. NOTE: Acetone is sold in metal containers and shelf life is pretty good, at least at my Home Depot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That test done with the different penetrating oils was done in a salt spray chamber and it was done with steel pins placed in a steel block. The resulting data output was pounds of force needed to pull the pins out, not foot pounds of torque. Although that data is pretty irrelevant here, the point is that stuff works great. We started using it at my shop after we went over the test.

We use it in these,
http://www.zorotools.com/g/00058672/k-G2188636?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=COCFs8WiwbcCFQtgMgodf20Aig

Just shake them up before use to get a good mix!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That test done with the different penetrating oils was done in a salt spray chamber and it was done with steel pins placed in a steel block. The resulting data output was pounds of force needed to pull the pins out, not foot pounds of torque. Although that data is pretty irrelevant here, the point is that stuff works great. We started using it at my shop after we went over the test.

We use it in these,
http://www.zorotools.com/g/00058672/k-G2188636?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=COCFs8WiwbcCFQtgMgodf20Aig

Just shake them up before use to get a good mix!
Acetone will lay on top of the ATF, therefore, you have to do the James Bond Boogie. (Shaken, not stirred)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Refilling aerosol cans Video

Found this on Youtube and thought that this would help those who want to put the penetrating fluid in a aerosol can so it could be sprayed in those hard-to-reach places.

NOTE** Care should be taken that you don't overfill or over-pressurize the can.

Hope that you can put this to good use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doLPFPeJ6JE

1 - 14 of 14 Posts