Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone posted this link a while back, asking if anyone had tried them. Well, someone has. Moi.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Boutique-Caskenfolie__W0QQ_armrsZ1
There's a lot of snake oil about shocks, but they're fundamentally a pretty simple device. Hydro-pneumatic shock absorbtion can be regarded as mature by the time of the French "Canon de 75mm modèle 1897."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_de_75_modèle_1897
Maybe Valentino Rossi needs a $1500 pair of shocks, but I ain't him, last time I checked.
These shocks use a toggle at the bottom (see pic inset) to get full length. They're 13.5" free length, vs 14.25" stock. As I have dropped the fork by an inch, I'm just getting back to the original geometry. The Triumph mount studs are 13mm, bigger than he supplies, so I drilled out the toggle, and installed a bigger bushing in the upper mount.

I ordered through the site above, received them from China in a bit over a week. Very nicely machined and finished. I'm sure they are reverse engineered (copied) from a western shock.
I don't have them dialed in yet, with respect to preload and gas pressure, but they are a good bit better than stock right out of the box. A couple of stretches of corduroy road that used to upset the bike no longer do. They seem more confident in a turn, as well. For the price paid, I'm very happy with them.
As always, YMMV!
Redhawk

·
Registered
474 Posts
Good luck, I wouldn't put Chinese copied parts on my car let alone my bike, accident waiting to happen.:ThumbsDown:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, to each his own. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if your car already has some Chinese parts, your computer almost certainly does. Component sourcing is pretty much world-wide today. I've seen pretty good stuff from the third world, and some utter crap from the first. The trick is sorting them out.
I've also been shot at with a wide variety of Chinese weapons, and they seemed to work OK.
Redhawk

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I think the problem I'd have with Chinese choks is every time I hit a bump...I'd feel like hitting another one fifteen minutes later. :D

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
For another 40$ you could of gotten Progressive 412s . Better than them ebay specials. I have a set and love them . Great handling shock. Not gonna diss ya for trying cheap shocks but be careful . Real careful .

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey Redhawk, I'm the original poster for those shocks. Thanks for giving us an update. I was tempted before and now I'm downright obsessing about them....question: did you have aftermarket shocks before these or stock? Did you change yours because the prior ones suck or they wore out?

Thanks or the technical info on installing these too. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Sad but true most of your cars bikes and everything else these days was made on cnc machines made in china.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NewtoThrux,
I had the stock rears, which were never particularly good, and had gotten worse in 11,000 miles.
I just found that the remote cans don't hold air, one bleeds down in a couple hours, the other in 10 minutes. I'm gonna replace the valve cores, but the shocks were working well with no air pressure. I've had them to the Ton, have sought out some washboard curves and REAL bumpy straights, and, so far, they are better than stock.
I got the two-spring as he ran a special, $115 for the pair, so I haven't much in the experiment.
Redhawk

·
Registered
69 Posts
The NEW maunufacturing empire...

Good luck, I wouldn't put Chinese copied parts on my car let alone my bike, accident waiting to happen.:ThumbsDown:
Would you fly on a jetliner if you knew it had Chinese-made parts? Rumor has it that a first-tier supplier to a major airline manufacturer up here in the Northwest (who has already been making parts in China for over 3 years) now may put up a facility in Thailand....

·
Registered
474 Posts
Would you fly on a jetliner if you knew it had Chinese-made parts? Rumor has it that a first-tier supplier to a major airline manufacturer up here in the Northwest (who has already been making parts in China for over 3 years) now may put up a facility in Thailand....
I thought we were talking about bogus pirated bootlegged parts. I realize all the major manufacturers source parts form legit Chinese government companies. I still wouldn't put a bogus pirated bootlegged part on my bike, especially a suspension part no less. This is just my opinion, personally I couldn't sleep at night knowing that I just put a bootlegged part on my bike to save 50 bucks!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just installed YSS rear shocks on mine this weekend and was quite surprised to find they were made in Thailand. Who knew???:confused:
They were $459/pair + $20 for chrome but I took 'em out today for a 100 mile spin and they feel great - a huge improvement over stock.:)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Sad but true most of your cars bikes and everything else these days was made on cnc machines made in china
Spot-on Mike. The sad irony is that many of the CNC machine tools are made in the US, Germany, Switzerland... 3 robust economy's as we all know.:rolleyes:

/Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive been coming here and reading posts for 3 years. Today I felt the need to join and put my two cents in about Chinese product. Here we go. The Chinese have never been innovators, even when they come up with something as cool as gunpowder, they use it in fireworks. Thats it, just fireworks. That is it's purpose and it can never serve another. Why would it? Some other primitive screwhead gets the idea for our boomsticks. (Evil Dead reference) Welcome the age of modern firearms. So here we are in modern America getting our asses handed to us by chinese manufacturing. Bellacorsa is right, we, along with Germany and Switzerland make some of the finest CNC machines in the world. I know, I am an independant CNC technician who worked for one of the premier CNC lathe builders in the US for years before going independant. We also make some really crappy product (Haas). The chinese will never innovate but they are awesome at R&D (ripoff and duplicate). They will copy our stuff, they will use their government money to gain an unfair advantage over us. (Although this is more of a social program for them, rather than trying to create an unfair advantage) The long and short of it is that if your parts are made to print it doesnt matter if they were made on a chinese machine or an american machine. Parts is parts. They seem to have issues in the quality control department. I've seen a lot of crap come out of china. Ive seen a lot of nice stuff too. If they ever get quality control taken care of and send only good parts instead of all of 'em good or bad we will be in big trouble. In short, if the fit and finish look good on them, then you probably have good product. They may even be a stickerless name brand, identical in every way but price. Thanks for reading my probably unintelligable response. To hell with proof reading!;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts