Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been worrying about this problem on the daytona 1200 i have bought recently.
i went for a ride and it rides lovely but i had it in top gear and went to accelerate from about 20mph with out changing down.
as i did i got this like rumble chatter type noise from the gearbox/ final drive chain area.
i thought ****, the gearbox is buggerd, i had a look at the chain it has a little exessive play.
if i dont labour the engine and use the gears as intended its fine.
so is this the same chatter/ rumble that you get on the triples that i have been reading about on this site?

cheers
john

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
John, Reminds me of the joke where the patient tells the doctor that "It hurts when I do this." and the doctor replies "Don't do that."

Likely just the transmission getting pounded by an engine just struggling to run.

Brad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes

Yes your right, i have only just got back into biking after about 10 years, and its probably just normal.
It maybe where ive forgotten what noises bikes make.
it just freaked me out a bit.
cheers
John

·
Registered
166 Posts
20 mph in top is too slow, of course the engine and transmission will moan and groan in protest.

You aren't doing the engine any favours chugging it around like that.

Our 2 litre desiel car has a high top gear that runs 2000rpm/60mph

It says in the manual NOT to hold it in top below 45 mph. Below that speed it all starts to rumble, vibrate and self destruct.

My '95 Sprint will run down to 1500 rpm quite smoothly but my SV1000, a V twin doesn't like going below 2500 rpm in top.

Pete

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
noise

yes i know, i dont ride it like that, it was just on one occasion i went to accelerate and forgot i was in top gear and then i got the noise, i know i was in to high a gear, but i just wanted to know if that noise was normal.

cheers
john

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes your right, i have only just got back into biking after about 10 years, and its probably just normal.
It maybe where ive forgotten what noises bikes make.
it just freaked me out a bit.
cheers
John
I know the feeling John, I'm a married man so obviously don't get as much rumpty tumpty as before and when i had a ride on the wife for the first time in what seemed like 10 years I too had forgoten what noises they make and it freaked me out a bit too.

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts