Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Charlotte's Riders Association of Triumph welcomes all riders to come join us on the great roads of the Carolinas. Sponsored by Motorcycles of Charlotte, we regularly hit the North Carolina mountain twisties, take local day trips, or take excursions to motorcycle events in the region. Feel free to drop us a line if you are coming our way - we are always looking for reasons to ride!

Monthly meetings occur at Sir Edmund Halleys pub in downtown Charlotte - 6:30 on each 1st Thursday. . Contact Pack Leader Steve Palmer <[email protected]> for more info.

ALL bikes and ALL riders are welcome - regardless of make or afilliation!

[ This message was edited by: cafetbird on 2006-03-20 18:46 ]

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a calendar update for the pack. First, we are adding a couple of additional monthly recurring activities to the Meeting at RiRa, and Eggs and Bikin':

Fireside Chat: Gathering and Meet and Greet 2nd Friday of each month at Benson's Firepit (nuttin' too fancy - bonfire in the backyard), 8708 Richardson King Road, Waxhaw, NC

European Bike Night: Each 2nd Tuesday at Mac's Speed Shop, 2511 South Blvd., Charlotte NC

Calendar of Events:

Jan 1: 4th Annual New Years Day Frozen Bum Run - Run until your Bum is numb!

Feb 18: Southern BBQ run - Join the Columbia Ridge RATs on a trip south to hit some SC back roads and sample the Barbecue

Mar 2-3: AHMRA Races & Thruxton Cup at Keshaw, SC - Corner work again, anyone?

Mar 9-12: 5th Annual RAT Run to Daytona Beach Bike Week!

Mar 17-19: Trek to the IMS Show in Atlanta. See the latest bikes and gadgets.

Apr 1-2 : East Coast Timing Association Speed Runs, Maxton, NC

Apr 14-16: Tax Day Run to Deal's Gap

April 21-23: Ride to "Gathering in the Blue Ridge" British CAR Event, Dobson, NC - Collective event with local RAT packs

May 19-20: Three State Vintage British Bike Ride, Blowing Rock, NC

May 26-28: Motoman Spring Rally, Morganton, NC

Jun 10-12: British in the Blue Ridge, Hiawassee, GA

Jun 18: Rhododendron Run to Roan Mountain, NC

Jun 24-25: East Coast Timing Association Speed Runs, Maxton, NC

Jul 22-23: WERA Races at Carolina Motorsports Park, Kershaw, SC

Jul 28 - 30: Trek to Mid Ohio Vintage Days in Lexington, OH

Aug. 18-20: AMA Superbike Races at Virginia International Raceway

Sep. 1- 3: AMA Superbike Races at Virginia International Raceway

Sep 8-10: Motoman Fall Rally, Morganton, NC

Sep 15: RAT Mid Atlantic Gathering, Canaan Valley, WV

Oct 7: Foothills Vintage British Rally - Forest City, TN

Oct 13 - 15: Shady Valley RAT Colour Run

Oct 28 - 29: East Coast Timing Association Speed Runs, Maxton, NC

Nov 4: Guy Fawkes Party

Dec 16: Charlotte RAT Holiday Party

[ This message was edited by: cafetbird on 2006-09-21 03:57 ]

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: [Charlotte Triumph Riders] Frozen Bum Run January 1st

1. Date: Thu, December 28, 2006 8:59 am
    To: [email protected]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Now that we are trying to
    recover, I would like to form up for the "Frozen Bum Run" on January
    1st.

We will be heading to South Carolina to ride around Lake Wateree and
    return to the Gastonia area. The ride will start at PJ's resturant (in Matthews) and we will depart at 10:30 AM.

I will post the route this afternoon, and if anyone would like the GPS
    file , please send an email to [email protected].

Lets get out for this first ride of 2007.

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jonas Ridge Store has new ownership

Anyone that has ridden highway NC 181 out of Morganton, NC north to the Blue Ridge Parkway is probably familiar with the Jonas Ridge Store. It is that one on top of the twisty mountain run, with the old Esso sign on the side, and the parking lot that has always been a popular loitering spot for most riders around there. Just in case you need a refresher, here it is:

The place went out of business a couple of months back, and has been sitting idle, while still accumlating the loiterers. I'd say it is the "Calderwood Overlook" of NC 181, don't 'cha think? Well there is some good news - the place has been purchased by motorcycle enthusiasts that plan to reopen it with a bit of a flair for us riders in mind!

3 of the members of our Charlotte RAT pack have bought the place. Tom "Motoman" Bridges (http://www.campmotoman.com), Bob Rehley, and John (Got Wilk?) Wilkinson bit the bullet and bought it a couple of weeks back, because they recognize that it has great potential! They are modeling it with a little bit of Crossroads of Time, a little bit of the Shady Valley Country Store, a little bit of TWO, and a little bit of their own flair. These guys have a unique kind of ingenuity. We went up there today to check it out, it is going to be fantastic!

So when you find yourself motoring the "181 Speedway", please be sure to stop in and support your fellow riders in this new endeavor.... they are in the process of re-stocking, and it will be repoening in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Charlotte RAT's for 2008

Well, we are closing in on another fall season. Time to probably join the thousands of folks going to the mountains to observe the leaves and also ride the twisties.

It has been a great spring and summer, with rides up to Jonas Ridge to see Tom Bridges, and also ride 181, or a fog shrouded parkway one Saturday. The highlights of the year were the ride to Hiawassie for British in the Blue Ridge. Bob Rehley and Greg Geisler made all of the arrangements. We had a great cabin to stay in (when the temps are in the 90's it is nice to have a big place that was cold enough to store meat). The riding was great and it just seems to get better every year.

Then a group of us went to Mid Ohio, along with some great folks from the Raleigh area. All 17 of us merged at the Mid-Ohio track for Vintage Motorcycle Days. I must say I think we were very impressed with all of the effort Triumph (Corporate) put into our visit. I mean we had VIP parking, valet service for our gear, free cold water when we needed it, a great sale on Triumph gear (doesn Triumph make a Sport Touring bike with 4 bags?). We had a great time watching the racing (including Shane Narbone on his 675). All of the RAT's were treated to a sit down dinner and live entertainment, dessert, all the beer and soda and water we could drink. Then the givaways by Triumph, and awards for different packs. Finsihed off the night with a great fireworks display. A big thank you to Greg Geisler for making all of our arrangements for hotels, resturants and general mayhem (it's too long to print here).

We still have some more events, in October we have a ride north of Taylorsville, N.C that has been planned for the weekend of October 10th. Also we have the run to Maxton, N.C for the East Coast Timing Association to observe the fastest bikes in N.C. This will occur the weekend of October 24th.

We will have our Guy Fawkes night, and I'll post up when we have made final arrangements
and also the RAT Holiday Party in December. This is where we meet to hand out yearly awards and enjoy each other's company.

We have had some new members join over the last year, and they have greatly added to an already great group. I also would like to take the time to thanks Mark and Gail Engel at Motorcycles of Charlotte for all of their dedication to the Charlotte RAT group.

Steve Palmer
Charlotte RAT Pack

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wanting to Joing - Looking for a used thruxton

Can anyone help i have been addicted to this bike at first sight, and the more i read up on them the more i wanted one.

I live in charlotte and need your assistance to locate a good Used thruxton.

I love the 09 Fuel injected model, but price may be a bit more than i would like to spend right now. Although the 07 black with the white strip is my favorite.

Your help is really appreciated, as i am excited to join up with the group on future rides. Just need the bike now!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been to the dealer, but price OTD is a bit higher than i can pay right now! I was hoping someone in this forum may know of any used 2007 thruxtons in good condition for sale. I currently do not have any bikes that I ride. Its been over 10 years since i last rode but trying to get back into it.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2008 Holiday Party and Awards

This year's annual Dinner and Awards evening will be held at Six Pence
Restaurant and Pub, 983 Market Street, Fort Mill, SC 29708 (803) 802-
5885. starting a 7pm. We have booked a private room upstairs.
Baxter Village is located just off I77 when you exit look for a
Starbucks, Market Street runs beside it.

Everybody is welcome,please feel free to bring you significant other
and as we would say in England "your better half".

Please RSVP if you plan to attend:
http://www.evite.com/pages/invite/viewInvite.jsp?inviteId=DDIUZRKHYFCLOUYLAXHW&s\
rc=email

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I am hopefullly going to get involved with the local pack this year. The days are getting longer and the weather warmer. anything planned for the near future?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cross posting this from the group forum by Bob Rehley:

Charlotte RATs,

It's time to give this cold weather the boot and ride down to Daytona for racing, partying and general mayhem. This is what I'm proposing for the ride down to Daytona on Thursday, March 5th. Let me know if this doesn't work for anyone. I am putting the names of those confirmed in the e-mail but anyone is welcome to ride down with us.

Bob C and Kevin meet me south of Charlotte in Mineral Springs, NC (Union County), leaving at 8 a.m. There is a Texaco station on the south side of Route 75, at the intersection of 75 and Potter Road which would be a good place to meet. The address is:

Petro Express

5905 Waxhaw Hwy

Mineral Springs, NC

I checked it out tonight and they have gas, coffee and bathrooms.

Take back roads to pick up Ken Groome at the Waffle House in Camden, SC. I figure after a short break we'll leave the Waffle House around 9:30 a.m. The address of the Waffle House is:

Waffle House on 521

(803) 713-0231

425 SUMTER HWY

CAMDEN, SC 29020

We meet Greg and Steve at the Summerton Diner in Summerton, SC for a breakfast/lunch at about 11 am. Here is a link for the Diner which is very close to I-95.

http://www.intrepidtraveler.com/travels/summerton.html

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1793

I'd like to leave the Diner about 12:00 p.m. to make the run to the Sleep Inn in Palm Coast to meet up with Dave Rogers. My mapping software says it's 335 miles from the Diner to the Hotel using my route which is a combination of two lane roads and I-95. I'd estimate arrival at about 6 pm with a couple of rest stops on the way. If we're fighting time we can slab it the rest of the way.

Dave was kind of enough to book rooms at the Sleep Inn in Palm Coast.

http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-palm_coast-florida-FL005?promo=gglocal

There appear to be some interesting restaurants in close proximity to the hotel:

http://www.flagleronline.com/international_restaurants/brazil-cafe-restauran
t.asp

http://www.flagleronline.com/thai_restaurants/thai_by_thai_palm_coast.asp

We can figure out what everyone wants to do on Friday and Saturday during dinner or over drinks at the hotel. There may be a couple of groups doing different things on those days. I was planning to spend Friday at the track to check out the manufacturer and vendor booths and watch the race which is Friday night this year. Afterwards I though I'd ride over the Main Street and enjoy the chaos. On Saturday I was thinking about heading to St. Augustine for the day. Everyone should feel free to do what they like.

On Sunday the Charlotte group will probably slab it back to Charlotte. I'm going to stick around to catch a couple of baseball games and attend a conference in Orlando.

Let me know how this sounds to everyone and let me know if I missed something or I'm being unrealistic. I'm looking forward to this one.

Bob R.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Charlotte Mechanic for future RAT

Charlotte RATS.

I am trying to finish a '70 TR6R and really need a good mechanic to go over this bike for me.

Can any of you suggest someone near (around) Charlotte?

Thanks,

Qball

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes they (we) are still active - as a matter of fact the monthly meeting was tonight. We meet at Big Ben's Pub in downtown Charlotte the first Thursday of the month. (I was not able to go tonight, though). There is a group in Yahoo groups - CharlotteRAT -with info and calendar, etc. I live in Matthews as well.
Ken

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks, Ken.

Your Bonnie was the other bike I was considering before I pulled the trigger on my Tiger. Still wondering if I made the right call. I still might get one at some point, but currently have no room nor budget for two.

--Wayne

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Just to let you guys know that the "Brit Cagers club" will be having a meet (Brit Bikes welcome and included) IN CONCORD on June 12th! The site is www.britishcardaysouth.com and they'll have classes for both classic bikes, as well as newer Brit bikes...should be some NICE BRIT IRON there....

Derswede

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Some nice cars and bikes showed up at the Concord meet. 4 Triumphs and an Enfiend were there, along with a TON of big healies. Well worth the time to visit...definately a CLASSIC meet...think the newest Brits were several Bonnies, one with a nice sidecar.

Still lusting after that Lotus Super 7....
Derswede

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts