Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the dealer install an accessory (or auxillary) socket before I took delivery of my Scrambler. On my BMW I was able to charge the battery by plugging into the socket. Does anyone know if this is possible with the triumph socket? I have the plug adapter for the charger. Thought I'd ask before I give it a shot and do any potential damage.
Thanks!
Julia

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Works fine. That was one of the reasons I installed it. The other, of course, is for an electric vest. Not a big issue, but the Triumph mounting kit places the 12v outlet on the right side of the bike, and most, if not all vests have their plugs on the left side of the vest.

I need some cheese with my whine!

Bob

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree that the mounting position of the accessory socket is awkward for electric vests. A side effect is that the cable rubs across the tank sometimes when riding - another way to scratch that super soft clearcoat. It is a valid whine - pass the cheese please... ;)

I have used the accessory socket for topping the battery with the Battery Tender. It works... but it took much longer than normal to "go green". So I added a Battery Tender harness direct to the battery. The connector pigtail stows very neatly below the left side cover. Using that, the battery will top up much faster. It seems more efficient for charging than using the accessory socket. Why? I'm not sure. But there is definitely a difference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I think eventually I will add a pigtail harness, but for now this will work. My battery was a little low today and the bike didn't want to start in the cold. Now I'll just leave her on the battery tender.

Got to figure out the other issue I'm having first. New bike niggles. :mad:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Reverse Vest

I don't know if this is possible for other brands, but my Aerostitch vest is reversable. When I put it on with the fuzzy fleece side out, the plug is on the left. If I wear it with the shiny nylon side out, the plug exits on the right. That's how I like to wear it, so that's the side I put my outlet on, but if I ride someone else's bike I just reverse the vest.

·
Registered
36 Posts
On my Scrambler I have the accessory outlet, also have a Battery Tender. Where do I get the plug adapter to join the two? From Battery Tender?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
You learn something new everyday here!

I'll be double-dipped in Dog Dooty! I have the socket but didn't know you can tender the battery that way. I pulled mine out and brought it upstairs and kept it charged all winter inside my office. I just deployed it yesterday back into the bike and she fired right up after being asleep all winter!

The Doctor pulled the stitches out of my right foot today and cleared me for regular showers, white socks and Crocs, exercises for toe strengthening, excessive walking . . . and, YES - Motorcycle Riding! :D

·
Registered
5,524 Posts

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I'll be double-dipped in Dog Dooty! I have the socket but didn't know you can tender the battery that way. I pulled mine out and brought it upstairs and kept it charged all winter inside my office. I just deployed it yesterday back into the bike and she fired right up after being asleep all winter!

The Doctor pulled the stitches out of my right foot today and cleared me for regular showers, white socks and Crocs, exercises for toe strengthening, excessive walking . . . and, YES - Motorcycle Riding! :D
What'd you do to your foot/ Something exotic, like stepping on a broken Courvousier(sp?) snifter? Kidding of course. Glad to hear you're on the mend, although this is the first I'd read about it.

Bob

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sorry guys, but I'm kind of confused about how this works. Do you plug the battery tender into the accessory socket? Do you have to buy a Powerlet/BMW style adapter to do it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Orpheus,
You need the BMW plug attachment for the battery tender. Plug it into the socket and connect to battery tender. Easy cheezy.
I could post a pic tomorrow if this doesn't make sense.
Julia

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pics for anyone still confused

Sorry about the quality of these. They came from the cell phone.
Here is the "bmw" socket thingy. Also available elsewhere, but I think described as BMW size.

And the end of the battery tender that you plug into.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Julia, If I remember correctly, isn't the adaptor you pix'd available thru Battery Tender? I think I purchased mine at the same time I bought the Tender. I have two adaptors. The other adapts to a small set of alligator clips for direct attachment to a battery,

It's been a while, that's why I'm asking.

Bob

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Y'know I don't remember specifically. I THINK all that came with the battery tender was the mini jumper cable like clips and the pigtail. I think I got mine at the BMW dealer. Really not sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts