Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help from the electrical guys. I thing my charging system crapped out, I was riding.home from work and I noticed one headlight was out, then the other one flickered and went out too. A few miles later the bike shut down, and wouldn't start back up. The lights went on but it wouldn't even turn over.

I got her home and replaced thebstator and regulator. I had about 40k on them. The original set went after 35k. So I was buttoning everything up and tried charging the battery and nothing. I bought a new battery and same problem. The connections on the battery are tight, killswitch is in the right position.

I am.at a loss right now. I dont know if I pulled something loose when connecting the regulator, or if there's another problem all together.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have a 2001 Sprint ST myself. we live in what previously could have been called having a local mecca of motorcycle brand shops including 2 Harley Davidson shops, Triumph, MV Agusta, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda. One of the Harley shops and unfortunately the local Triumph dealer closed up several years back. I had developed similar issues with the headlights sporatically going off and on which put a hamper on evening commutes home. I examined the electrical system from the manual as I had taken apart the front part of the body cockpit includfing the headlights. I can tell you that I performed basic checks on the bulbs, fuses, relays, etc which should be done for starters. I can tell you the Brits design wiring harnesses like no one else and have branchs off of branches. Unless someone has a specific test kit, there are many junction points to look for a short. I calculated the sheer number of junction points and called several Japanese brand and other general motorcycle local shops to see if they could troubleshoot and received the same consistent response "

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have a 2001 Sprint ST. we live in what previously could have been called a local mecca of motorcycle brand shops including 2 Harley Davidson shops, Triumph, MV Agusta, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda. One of the Harley shops and unfortunately the local Triumph dealer closed up several years back. A year after the local Triumph shop closed, I had developed similar issues with the headlights sporatically going off and on which put a hamper on evening commutes home. I examined the electrical system from the manual as I had taken apart the front part of the body cockpit including the headlights. I can tell you that I performed basic checks on the bulbs, fuses, relays, etc which should be done for starters. I can tell you the Brits design wiring harnesses like no one else and have branchs off of branches. Unless someone has a specific Triumph Electrical Shop test kit, there are many junction points to look for a short. I calculated the sheer number of junction points and called several Japanese brand and other general motorcycle local shops to see if they could troubleshoot and received the same consistent response "we work on all motorcycles and on all systems EXCEPT electrical problems on British bikes". I had to take my bike to the closest Triumph dealer which is 60 miles away. A well seasoned and trained Triumph mechanic was able to pinpoint which wire on which branch was the issue within 1 hour of so saving me possibly days of endless troubleshooting. When you take off the front cockpit and look at how the wiring harnesses branch, you will see what I mean and why only Triumph dealers will work on them in our area.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Need a little help from the electrical guys. I thing my charging system crapped out, I was riding.home from work and I noticed one headlight was out, then the other one flickered and went out too. A few miles later the bike shut down, and wouldn't start back up. The lights went on but it wouldn't even turn over.

I got her home and replaced thebstator and regulator. I had about 40k on them. The original set went after 35k. So I was buttoning everything up and tried charging the battery and nothing. I bought a new battery and same problem. The connections on the battery are tight, killswitch is in the right position.

I am.at a loss right now. I dont know if I pulled something loose when connecting the regulator, or if there's another problem all together.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
What bike/year? Did you try to jump start?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bad, it's a 2011 gt. I didnt try jumping it, the lights and gauges aren't even going on. I am wondering if I pulled something when I reconnected.the regulator. The connectors were tucked under the frame and tank and were a pita to reach without completely removing the tank.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
No. You don't have to remove the tank on a GT. You just have to remove the rear axle, unhook the two scratches on the rubber parts and slide the tank back 5 cm then put the front tab above it's location to free it. Then put back the rear axle and lift the front of the tank. You can even strap it to the pillion handle to keep it open. Plenty of room and still you can start the engine w/ everything connected.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are the 2 scratches on the rubber parts? Last time I slid the axle out and pulled the tank back a little and just lifted it a few inches on the left side.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I can tell you the Brits design wiring harnesses like no one else and have branchs off of branches. Unless someone has a specific Triumph Electrical Shop test kit, there are many junction points to look for a short. I calculated the sheer number of junction points and called several Japanese brand and other general motorcycle local shops to see if they could troubleshoot and received the same consistent response "we work on all motorcycles and on all systems EXCEPT electrical problems on British bikes". I had to take my bike to the closest Triumph dealer which is 60 miles away. A well seasoned and trained Triumph mechanic was able to pinpoint which wire on which branch was the issue within 1 hour of so saving me possibly days of endless troubleshooting. When you take off the front cockpit and look at how the wiring harnesses branch, you will see what I mean and why only Triumph dealers will work on them in our area.
If you and your local dealers think Triumphs have overly complex harnesses and electrical systems don't ever buy a KTM 1290 Super Duke.

Or perhaps you'd like to work on my classic Vespa. See pic
Vespa-LML Wiring Diagram.jpg

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats what I was figuring and hoping it was. Now to get some time to get in there and do some searching. Its.killimg me that its now nice out and I am sidelined.

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
When you take off the front cockpit and look at how the wiring harnesses branch, you will see what I mean and why only Triumph dealers will work on them in our area.
Or you could look inside the front cockpit off my Kawasaki for a few minutes. It might make you feel better about working on Triumph wiring. The wiring diagram is something else o_O

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pulled the tank up and don't see anything disconnected. I am at a loss for what I messed up or if I am missing something else. Unfortunately I will bite the bullet and take it to the shop.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I'm not near my GT but how about that big 30A fuse?
I would think if that's not right it would shut everything off.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 30amp fuse was the culprit. Swapped it out and we now have power. Ow the fun part of buttoning everything back up. Thanks for the help and input.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts