Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a bonnie -64 with Boyer and a battery.Problem it only charges 12.3 to 12.5 when reving it....could it be the power box ? Or have i done some wrong in wiring....Can i put cables for lights together with the white cable to boyer ignition box...The bike starts easy and runs ok....but running for a while drains the battery and it only runs on one cylinder....How do i check charging easily..i´m not to good at electrical stuff so i really need som basic help "for dummies".I run dual coils with + to earth and then + to - between the 2 coils and the black wire from boyer box to - on the left hand coil...is that right ? Someone perhaps have some.... easy to understand schematics on a boyer brandsen system with powerbox and battery and a key ignition switch...I appreciate any help cause i´m stuck right now......Thanx for any help

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got a bonnie -64 with Boyer and a battery.Problem it only charges 12.3 to 12.5 when reving it....could it be the power box ? Or have i done some wrong in wiring....Can i put cables for lights together with the white cable to boyer ignition box...The bike starts easy and runs ok....but running for a while drains the battery and it only runs on one cylinder....How do i check charging easily..i´m not to good at electrical stuff so i really need som basic help "for dummies".I run dual coils with + to earth and then + to - between the 2 coils and the black wire from boyer box to - on the left hand coil...is that right ? Someone perhaps have some.... easy to understand schematics on a boyer brandsen system with powerbox and battery and a key ignition switch...I appreciate any help cause i´m stuck right now......Thanx for any help

You say the bike is charging at 12.3-12.5 when raised. The bike has a 12v system. although on the low side,The battery should stay up at that level of output.Is it putting out that much with the lights on as well? It should keep up. Remember, this isnt a car system with a 13.3-13-5 charging output.If the battery drops while the lights are on (under 12v) then you have a charging system issue, otherwise, Im going to guess that your battery is weak.based on what you said. what is the static charge of the battery? check it right after running, then again a few hours later after it "rests" If it is dropped to let say 11.8, check it again few hours later again, if it dropped more, its defective. (remember to static test a battery with cables removed).

·
Registered
601 Posts
Now wait a minute here,

I do not know anything about Boyers and the power box.
Someone else will have to answer that one.

However,

It does not matter what charging system you are useing,
be it a car, lawnmower or even lets say a motorcycle.
A 12 volt battery should read 12.6 volts when fully charged.
Each tenth of a volt lower is 25% less of a charge. So at
12.2 it is a flat battery. All charging system run between
13 to 14.5 volts. Anything lower and the battery will not
be recharged. Anything higher and the battery gets boilded.

Pookybear

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Battery is charged and it reads around 12.5 whith ignition off when i turn the bike on i drops to 11.8 but raises to slightly above 12...when i give it gas....I´ve got a key ignition switch with the lead from the battery goes into the middle and then one wire to the white into the boyer ignition box...on the other left hand pin i´ve put all cables to the lights....When i turn the ignition key on everything comes on lights and ignition...maybe i´ve done something wrong with wiring it...Can i run without a battery ? Thanx for all help.:)

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you look on previous threads like "sparxs" there is a lot of info. l an an electric loser too but sorting out the charger was not too hard. First undo all yours ground wires one at a time and clean the connections and bolts and washers. Read the charge again ( with a good or new battery on full charge) is it better. Check all the wires for cracks and bullets or spade connectors for corrosion and bad crimping ( one of mine found solved a lot of my trouble). Read again. Still no improvement . swap your stator, rotor and rec/reg to Sparxs electricals. All the charge you need. l can go out at night without the wife following in the car!!.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Triumphcax did the bike used to run ok or is this your first time of trying? Have you just fitted the powerbox for instance?

The voltages you quote are wrong, showing your system isn't charging.

At the moment always make sure you have a charged battery before you start any checks. Your bike won't run properly with a flat battery.

Derry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also have a 66 bonnie with the boyer. If the voltage drops too low the boyer cannot run.
The boyer would probably be connected properly as it probably would not start if wrong.
Question,
Is your alternator the original? If so remember that it is 45 years old. The rotor is a magnet and will get weak over time and the stator is also aged. How many 45 year old alternators in cars do you see that operate properly? Some yes, but age catches up with it
I have just finished ordering a new high output stator, rotor and powerbox for my 66, because of the same problems that you are experiencing. runs fine with no headlight, but not enough power with it on to keep the ignition with twelve volts.
If you would like to see a wiring diagram for your bike, go to bike.biz to look at a manual for it. There are several other sites that will let you see wiring diagrams also. Russell P

·
Registered
601 Posts
Is your alternator the original? If so remember that it is 45 years old. The rotor is a magnet and will get weak over time and the stator is also aged. How many 45 year old alternators in cars do you see that operate properly? Some yes, but age catches up with it
Russell P
Russell,

As for cars, more than you would think. Remember that the
magnetic feild in a car is produce by a winding. Most of the
time it is the regulator that goes out and is a seperate part
in older cars. As for a motorcycle, yes the magnets go flat
after years of sitting.

Pookybear

PS I have only ever replaced bearing in my Alternators in my
ageing fleet. Of course since I wrote this, I am expecting
a very large spark tomorrow!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
new try

disconnected all lights and it charges to 13.9 so charging would be ok..should i try to connect lights directly from battery using a switch ?

·
Registered
601 Posts
disconnected all lights and it charges to 13.9 so charging would be ok..should i try to connect lights directly from battery using a switch ?
Lets not go that drastic just yet, it should work as wired from
the factory. Clean up all the connections, involved with the
charging system and the lighting system. See if you do not
get an improvement. Also what kind of headlight are you running?

Pookybear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts