Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 1963 3TA which is giving me a few headaches. My problems started when I forgot that bikes of this age had a positive earth and reversed the polarity while charging it. When I tried to reconnect the battery it just blew the fuse. I drained the battery and recharged it but it kept loosing charge. I replaced the battery but the new one goes flat quite quickly.

I fitted an Amp meter and it is showing a charge when the revs are built up but on tick over it is showing a discharge. When the lights are switched on it goes straight to discharge even when reved up.

The bike was converted to 12 Volt at some stage which is making it a bit more difficult to trace the problem. If anybody can offer any advice I would be very grateful. I doubt if reversing the polarity while charging it was the cause as it blew the fuse immediatly on connection and I did not run the bike until the mistake was rectified.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Good possibility the rectifier has one half blown."

Thanks for the reply, is there any way of checking the unit or is it a case of replacing it and hope for the best?.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Need you to read the Private Message I sent - link to PM's is underlined near the top right-hand corner of the page, just under "Welcome, Pecon"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts