Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take a competent mechanic to change a set of tyres on a S3 and what's a reasonable hourly charge rate? I'm pretty sure I just got bent over...

·
Super Moderator
22,199 Posts
I guess it depends if you took bike in and they had to remove/re-install the wheels as well as changing/balancing or you handed him wheels already off bike?
What did you pay?

If paying 'by the hour' then the rate is most likely not any different than for any other task - most would however have a fixed-rate fee for that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$99/hr... 3 hours... they decided to drop it back to 2 hours... $175. See now I have to go be irritated at a bike shop that I used to like. Dammit.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
$99/hr... 3 hours... they decided to drop it back to 2 hours... $175. See now I have to go be irritated at a bike shop that I used to like. Dammit.
Holy FCUK Batman! :eek::eek::eek: That's hiway robbery! Did you buy the tyres from them?

·
Registered
909 Posts
wow that's a bunch of crap.
and that labor rate is ridiculous.

removal of rear wheel is 10 mins max
removal of front wheel is 10 mins max.

1 hr labor in reality if someone honest does this job for you.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I pay €20 a tire when I bring my own tires and take the wheels of myself. Which in total costs me about 30minutes!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dag nam it! I haven't had them replace yet on the S3 (but given the soft nature of the Metzeler Racetec K3's it won't be long), but when I last had them done, the guy came to my house in his transit van and fitted the tires which i bought from him. He charged £25 for fitting and £10 for the callout. Took him about 2 hours but we were chatting a bit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went into the shop yesterday after lunch and explained that all the feedback I've had leads me to think the tyre change should have taken maybe an hour instead of the 3.5 they took and then discounted. The new shop owner wasn't there so the staff gave me the typical there's nothing we can do for you but we'll get Dallas to call me on Wednesday when he gets back from his parents funeral... I said ok and since the boss mechanic was at the counter at the time, I asked him how long he thought he would take to do it. He reckoned an hour was a bit short but 1.25 hr ought to cover it.

In the 10 years I've been their customer, now on the third owner, I've never had cause to grumble. Hopefully they can set this right.

I know how to change tyres, I did it years ago to prove it to myself but I'm also lazy so don't mind paying a few dollars to support local business to a reasonable level. Anyways, will post on the outcome.

·
Registered
287 Posts
To the OP...you have been royally f***ed! :mad:

Go back and demand at least $100 back! They have to be absolutely joking! 3.5hours to do a set of tyres :eek:

For me that would be setting alarm bells off! Avoid the shop all together dude..... :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I went into the shop yesterday after lunch and explained that all the feedback I've had leads me to think the tyre change should have taken maybe an hour instead of the 3.5 they took and then discounted. The new shop owner wasn't there so the staff gave me the typical there's nothing we can do for you but we'll get Dallas to call me on Wednesday when he gets back from his parents funeral... I said ok and since the boss mechanic was at the counter at the time, I asked him how long he thought he would take to do it. He reckoned an hour was a bit short but 1.25 hr ought to cover it.

In the 10 years I've been their customer, now on the third owner, I've never had cause to grumble. Hopefully they can set this right.

I know how to change tyres, I did it years ago to prove it to myself but I'm also lazy so don't mind paying a few dollars to support local business to a reasonable level. Anyways, will post on the outcome.
Unless it's a "mistake" that's a rip off. Even if they had trouble balancing them it's no more than 40 mins a tyre. 20mins remove/fit wheel then 20mins fit tyre and balance. And that's being generous.

You didn't say whether you bought the tyres there. That could have a bearing on their approach - but they still need to be up front and honest about their charge. in any event if they charged an hourly rate not a fixed price, then by law they have to charge the time taken. If they try and claim 3 hours or more, take them to your small claims tribunal/fair trading office and get them to ask the shop why they could not do this in a reasonable time that would be expected of any competent mechanic?

Team Moto do it NSW and SE Qld for $419 supplied AND fitted/balanced for a range of tyres inc Michelin Pilot Rd 2s and 3s. Look at their web site for the pricing.

Our $ is high, has been for more than 12months and stock is brought in regularly so for most it shouldn't be a stock bought at old price issue even in the country.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.