Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

First let me apologize if this has already been covered, I'm not having much luck with the search function.

I'm finding when changing up the gears on my 06 S3 I have to lift my foot quite a long way to engage the next gear. Now I know the gear box is very different to what I'm used to but what I'm wondering is if I can change the angle of the gear peg?
I'm told this is a fairly easy thing to do on most bikes but any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have never done this before.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Doublecheck first that the ball joint pivot bolts and shifter shaft nuts are all tight. Add threadlock if necessary.
These tend to be loose from factory and will cause slop on the shift.

As for adjusting shaft length: unthread nuts, adjust, tighten nuts. Have a go, it's pretty obvious how it works once you have a go at it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's just like the adjustment for the shift linkage on your SV ( I adjusted mine yesterday on S3). If you need help/pics there should be some on svrider.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yeah dude, its easy.
Step one: Look at shift linkage and notice how it's attached at both ends.
Step two: Adjust it until the lever is to your liking.
Step three: Run away embarrassed as to how easy this was.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
If I could add another little bit to that:

The adjuster rod works like a turnbuckle - the lock nut and the kink-rod thread at the gear shaft end are left-hand thread while the pedal end is normal thread.
So remember that to loosen the lock-nut at the shaft end, it would be as if tightening a normal nut.
When both lock nuts are loose and you have some free threads just spin the link rod to lengthen or shorten the overall length. Shortening the length will raise the pedal, while lengthening will lower it further.
When you have the pedal height you want, lock down the lock-nuts again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry guys I have been away for a few days, just playing catch up now.
Thanks for all the replies I'll give it a go tonight hopefully and with any luck will hide my embarrassment for asking about such an easy thing.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts