Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just ordered a 17T front sprocket for my Thruxton, which should be here tomorrow.

I'm just wondering about a few things...

- Will I need to adjust the chain afterwards? I don't have a centre stand or a paddock stand.

- Do you really need to use a torque wrench, or can I just do up the nut to "tight as buggery"?

Thanks!

Mat :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You'll need to adjust the chain for sure because you'll have to loosen the axle and chain tensioners to get enough slack in the chain to get the 18t sprocket off. It's pretty easy though, even on the sidestand.

I've never put a torque wrench on that big nut, just get it good and tight and bend the tab down so it won't go anywhere. Enjoy the 17, cheapest acceleration boost there is.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Easy is right, you will need to adjust the chain afterwards. As for torquing, I always torque down fastners, but in this case I didn't know if it matters. I recently discovered that my sprocket nut was loose anyways, and many others here had posted the same. So definitely bend that washer tab back flat against the nut.

·
Registered
89 Posts
+1 on the loose front sprocket. I just went to a 17t front on my 2012 T100. About a 20 minute job. I needed a 36mm socket to remove the front sprocket nut - $10.00 at Ace Hardware.

Certainly do notice the extra oomph from a start. I don't do any highway riding, plus I'm a pretty big guy. 17mm makes a lot of sense, plus it's a pretty cheap install, including the $ of the 36mm socket.

Good luck with the install!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I put the 17T on my Thruxton in the spring. I love it, have about 7000km on it now. I actually enjoy my bike at highway speed more, the added acceleration to pass is very welcome. I can't imagine what a pig this bike would be with a 19T.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I have had 18 and 19. Just ordered a 17. I also ordered a 45t rear sprocket. I am very excited to get everything installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts