Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally got around to changing my fork seal and I am having a real hard time getting my fork tubes off. I finally busted them loose tonight and started unscrewing them to get to the seals and once they were unscrewed I still couldn't get them off. I have a pre 70's triumph front end. Am I forgetting a bolt somewhere? Also having a hard time getting my fork stem sleeve nut back on. Don't ask me why I took that off. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
You don't need to remove stanchions.
Remove the front mudguard.Loosen the dust excluders.For the "special tool", just screw a hose-clip to the lower part of the dust excluder and drive the clip with a Stillson wrench (pipe wrench).
When the dust excluders are loose,remove the front wheel and pull the sliders off.Remove the bushes and take off the dust excluder (seal holder).

To fit the bearing adjuster nut back on,you might need to wedge the yoke open more after you loosen the pinch bolt.It's still got to be fairly central.You'll probably need someone to lift the wheel to line it up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man that really helps. Only problem I am having is I got the holder loose. I can't get the sliders off. They simply won't slide off.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
More information on what bike you have?If it's a competition model,like a pre-'68 TR6C,it could have damper rods screwed to the stanchion cap-nuts.They would also be screwed to the bottom of the sliders.
Take off a cap-nut and look.If you see a damper rod,you'll need to undo the bolt at the bottom of the slider.

If there is no damper rod,just whack the slider with a soft hammer to slide it off the bushes.The bushes could be a firm fit in the top of the slider.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see damper rods and I see a bolt. what kind of tool do i need to get down in there and loosen it up or take t completely out?

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
There's a small hex-headed screw at the bottom of the slider,in the centre.
The head size is 1/8 Whitworth,or 3/16" B.S. (same size).The size of the hex is approx 8.5 mm across flats.
You'll need to get a Whitworth socket,preferably with 3/8" square drive.You may still need to grind it down to fit in.

Leave the drain plug screw in place,because it stops the damper turning when you undo the centre screw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts