Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all.
I'm going to swap over my Discs this weekend. Going from previous experience, it's entirely likely that even using quality tools and a deal of patience that a few of the socket headed bolts are going to be screwed :rolleyes: by the time they come out.
So I thought I might replace the entire lot with HT Stainless ones.
Does anyone know the correct size and also where the best place to get them from would be? Are they the same as any other particular makers? e.g Suzuki?

Martin. :)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Stainless is, alas, not a good choice. It simply does not have the tensile strength that regular steel has.

AFAIK, the bolts are, if not Triumph-specific, at least quite uncommon. I would probably go to the Triumph dealer for them. (Which is saying a lot. I'd still be tempted to try to match them at McMaster-Carr or Fastenal, but I would have to know that any third-party replacement had the tensile strength required. I am very concerned about my brakes working correctly.)

Best of luck with it, and remember: heat them up, then remove with an impact wrench. Don't even think about a regular wrench until they've been loosened. And when you put them back together, use blue Loctite instead of red, just n case you ever have to take them out again.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kit. On reflection and after reading through quite a lot of internerd posts regarding Stainless, Titanium and even Alloy bolts, I rather think I will stick with the OE bolts. Found a relatively inexpensive source wemoto.com
As far as brakes go I think it better safe than in a hedge or worse. :eek: :D
Thanks for your input.

Martin :)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
you guys scared me as well when I took my rotors off this past weekend.

But alas, 30000miles on the original rotors and the bolts came out and went back in flawlessly. I even checked the wear on the rotors and it was within tolerance!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The really worrying thing is my old discs. 35K on the clock, well within tollerance thickness wise, but - nearly every outer hole has a crack radiating out from them. They were fine 2000 miles ago for the MOT. Weird. :confused:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
<...>Found a relatively inexpensive source wemoto.com<...>
Nice one, Martin! Might be worth buying them there even with the shipping, as £1.73 is quite a lot less than the $7.57 apiece Bike Bandit lists. :eek:

Not sure what to say about the cracks, have you got a pic?

Travis, glad to hear it went well for you!

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice one, Martin! Might be worth buying them there even with the shipping, as £1.73 is quite a lot less than the $7.57 apiece Bike Bandit lists. :eek:

Not sure what to say about the cracks, havve you got a pic?

Travis, glad to hear it went well for you!

Cheers,
-Kit
I'll take some pics at the weekend. :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
I did mine a couple of months ago - 70k miles on the bike - don't know how many on the discs but they are down to about 3.7mm! Bolts came out no problem and went back in the same. Replaced with waveys from Stealth - so far so good

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Thinking about it again, I have an extra set of bolts for the disks. Problem is... you'd have to make me an offer on the disks as well!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
new bolts turned up this morning, so I've cracked on and got it all swapped over. not exactly cutting edge but now sporting 310mm Discs. 4 pot Nissins, new pads. and braided hoses on the front

Braided hose and new pads on the back.

The old discs were seriously knackered. 4.9mm thick but plenty of cracks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts