Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an oil leak. I didn't notice this morning that I had some oil on the floor of the garage, but when I got home from work, I saw it. That got me looking and I've got oil on the left side top of the engine. Nothing really on the right side. I started wiping off the oil from the engine, looking for a leak. I kept moving towards the front and noticed that I had oil on the left side of the cooler and even on top of the cooler. It had also pooled into the depressions at the front of the engine casting below the cooler.

Initially, I thought maybe I picked up a stone and put a hole in the cooler, but I've got oil on top of the cooler too. I'm going to continue looking for the leak tomorrow when I have a bit better light, but assuming it is the cooler, how hard is that to replace? It looks like its 3 bolts and disconnecting some hoses, but I'm afraid I'm missing something.

I'll get some pictures and post them tomorrow, but if there are any suggestions, please shoot them out there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so I couldn't wait till morning. I wiped her down again and started her up. The drip is coming from the hose at the top of the cooler. Looks like it's coming right from the crimped fitting. I'm going to follow a suggestion I found here and see if I can find a hose repair shop to repair the hose.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Be sure that it's not just leaking around the banjo bolt. If it really is coming out of the crimp, I'd replace the hose. If the crimped fitting is letting go, there's no telling what else on it is falling apart.

Just out of curiosity, how old is it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the part out. Took it to a couple of shops, they scratched their heads and said, "nope". I guess I'm buying a new part.

Besides Bike Bandit, is there any other US Triumph parts supplier that folks here would recommend I contact?

Also, when I pulled the temp sensor off, it was not what I was expecting. I suppose that could be a really short RTD or Thermocouple, and it's smeared in dielectric grease, but I was not expecting it to just pop out. Does that look "normal" or am I going to be on the hook for another sensor. I'd rather buy this all in one go. See pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be sure that it's not just leaking around the banjo bolt. If it really is coming out of the crimp, I'd replace the hose. If the crimped fitting is letting go, there's no telling what else on it is falling apart.

Just out of curiosity, how old is it?
I thought it might have been the banjo bolt too. I was hoping that maybe it was a bit loose, or at least not fully torqued down, but the leak was clearly coming from back up the hose near the fitting. Looking at the part now that I have it off, there is a "scuff" on the braided hose near that crimp. It could be that the leak was there and just dripping at the fitting. either way, I'm pretty sure its the hose. See the attached pictures.

The bike is a 2013 T100. I seriously doubt that either of the previous owners changed it, so I'd guess its 7 to 8 years old.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
I got the part out. Took it to a couple of shops, they scratched their heads and said, "nope". I guess I'm buying a new part.
Any hydraulics shop should be able to duplicate the OEM hose with better quality hose and terminations.
That kind of stuff is all over aircraft and heavy equipment.

Give Triumph of Seattle a call at (206) 783-2323. Big dealer and great parts department.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I thought it might have been the banjo bolt too. I was hoping that maybe it was a bit loose, or at least not fully torqued down, but the leak was clearly coming from back up the hose near the fitting. Looking at the part now that I have it off, there is a "scuff" on the braided hose near that crimp. It could be that the leak was there and just dripping at the fitting. either way, I'm pretty sure its the hose. See the attached pictures.

The bike is a 2013 T100. I seriously doubt that either of the previous owners changed it, so I'd guess its 7 to 8 years old.
Unless they changed the hose type over the years since 2004, there isn’t much to “fix”. Inside that steel braided covering is a clear plastic oil line, which don’t take kindly to impacts or “ scuffing” or aging. I know they make nice hose replacements for the Bonnie, as they came frequently during my cooler delete projects.. good luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any hydraulics shop should be able to duplicate the OEM hose with better quality hose and terminations.
That kind of stuff is all over aircraft and heavy equipment.

Give Triumph of Seattle a call at (206) 783-2323. Big dealer and great parts department.
There is a shop in town that makes custom hydraulic hoses. I'm going to try them. Unfortunately, I live in small town America and that place isn't open on the weekends. I'll call them Tuesday.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'd be more interested in curing the disease with an upgraded line rather than treating the symptom with a used line of eBay.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd be more interested in curing the disease with an upgraded line rather than treating the symptom with a used line of eBay.
My plan is to do both. As HayMike pointed out, I can get an oil line through ebay and it will be here Friday. I then plan on getting my original one upgraded. The swap is a PITA, but it's letting me also do some work elsewhere.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My plan is to do both. As HayMike pointed out, I can get an oil line through ebay and it will be here Friday. I then plan on getting my original one upgraded. The swap is a PITA, but it's letting me also do some work elsewhere.
"The swap is a PITA" ... only to find that the eBay line has a leak. Be specific and ask the seller if the line in OK.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"The swap is a PITA" ... only to find that the eBay line has a leak. Be specific and ask the seller if the line in OK.
Already did. Thanks.

On a different but related subject, is there a trick to getting the headers off? I'm just trying to take the left side off so I have better access to install the line and I cannot get it off. Do I need to remove both sides?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Already did. Thanks.

On a different but related subject, is there a trick to getting the headers off? I'm just trying to take the left side off so I have better access to install the line and I cannot get it off. Do I need to remove both sides?
I've never tried to remove just one of them but I'd imagine it's much easier when removing both of them at the same time. It depends on if there is enough movement with just one side loosened to unmate at the crossover underneath.
You might be able to remove the header studs to make it easier?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For those of you betting that this idiot would screw this up, you won the bet.

After struggling with the header, which I did eventually get off the bike, I found that all I really needed to do was unbolt the oil cooler itself. That gave me all the degree of freedom I really needed. Removing the exhaust was unnecessary.

I annealed the exhaust gasket and put everything back together. It went together slightly easier than it came apart. I was then putting the oil cooler line back together, to make sure I could do it. Set my HF torque wrench to ~30nm and started tightening up first the left then the right. Left went ok, went to the right and I ended up twisting the head off of the banjo bolt. Fortunately, there was enough left sticking out of the engine that I was able to grab it with a pair of pliers and get it out. It came out easy so I don't think I buggered the threads in the engine, but she's dead until I get a new bolt.

Yes, I know I'm a moron. This thread is a testament to that. Thanks for the help though, I definitely need it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
For those of you betting that this idiot would screw this up, you won the bet.

After struggling with the header, which I did eventually get off the bike, I found that all I really needed to do was unbolt the oil cooler itself. That gave me all the degree of freedom I really needed. Removing the exhaust was unnecessary.

I annealed the exhaust gasket and put everything back together. It went together slightly easier than it came apart. I was then putting the oil cooler line back together, to make sure I could do it. Set my HF torque wrench to ~30nm and started tightening up first the left then the right. Left went ok, went to the right and I ended up twisting the head off of the banjo bolt. Fortunately, there was enough left sticking out of the engine that I was able to grab it with a pair of pliers and get it out. It came out easy so I don't think I buggered the threads in the engine, but she's dead until I get a new bolt.

Yes, I know I'm a moron. This thread is a testament to that. Thanks for the help though, I definitely need it.
You're doing OK... just think things out, wait a few minutes, think some more, then get the wrenches.

·
Super Moderator
2,042 Posts
Yes, you'll be fine. Things happen and you calculate the next move and go with it. When using a torque wrench you still should ease into it. Especially delicate items and areas. I do not have one, but the reviews on the HF torque wrenches were very good on a report I read once.
Where did you get the replacement oil line?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts