Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Administrator
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't seen it already, there is a post about changes coming to Triumphrat.net at https://www.triumphrat.net/community-help/959648-we-are-moving.html

The site will be migrated from vBulletin to a new software called Xenforo. The transition will take place on September 3, and the site will be in read-only mode during the transition. You may already notice changes being made to the site in preparation, for instance BHO has been moved.

I'm sure the new site software will be better in many ways, and worse in others. In total, I expect a change for the better although with some discomfort. The current infrastructure is not working, there are too many performance and stability problems, and it is not keeping up with the new mobile world. The site owners, VerticalScope who use the HalfPint account, have not been able to keep this site running properly. Part of the problem is that they own a lot of sites, and the infrastructure under them vary too much. If they standardize, hopefully they will be able to maintain the sites better.

Do not post comments you want the site owners to see in this thread. Any issues or concerns that arise from the transition should be posted to the Community Help forum at https://www.triumphrat.net/community-help/

·
Administrator
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh it's fun and games now. But what about when there is a broken link, or a missing image? More white space than you're used to? Oh, we'll see who's laughing then.

At this point we are only accepted pre-flounces. "if this doesn't go well, then ...". After the event proper flounces will be accepted. As always, internet points will be awarded to anyone that can stick to their flounce for over a week.

·
Administrator
19,441 Posts
At this point we are only accepted pre-flounces. "if this doesn't go well, then ...". After the event proper flounces will be accepted. As always, internet points will be awarded to anyone that can stick to their flounce for over a week.
Oh, great. That is so not fair. I can't stick to a mood for more than five minutes. I NEVER get these points!

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
BHO might need to go above "General" or it might not be found by the average user. :2cents

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Thanks for the heads up BonnieB :unsure

Unless this is all in my imagination, which is a possibility. :geezer

I downloaded my "original album" to my PC.... in case well you know bad stuff happens!

I hope this new software has uber good emoji thingos I need to be able to express myslef.......mmmmm um myself, also not very right... bright!:pC

I'm going to prepare my flounce:hmmthink

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
I knew this was coming. In anticipation of how pissed-off I might be, I sold my lovely Sprint ST. Take that TriumphRAT.net!

How many internet points is that worth? Will it be enough to buy back my Member Album (or the link to it) when it disappears (again)?

Anyway, now that I've proved my point, I have to rush off - I've got complaints to post on the Kawasaki forum! :wink2:

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
I hope this new software has uber good emoji thingos I need to be able to express myslef.......mmmmm um myself, also not very right... bright!:pC
The new software appears to be the same one that ADVrider uses and the emojis are not as good as what we have been used to with the current software... :cry

However on a positive note, I believe the user experience will be vastly improved with Xenforo. I'm hoping we will have the option to select a Dark Theme like you can on ADVrider… :dunno

Change can be a good thing in my opinion as the current software has been plagued with far too many issues over the past couple of years... :nod

Bob

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Technology bad-fire good

Will this have any effect on my flip phone. If not, I ok with it........

·
Registered
311 Posts
However on a positive note, I believe the user experience will be vastly improved with Xenforo. I'm hoping we will have the option to select a Dark Theme like you can on ADVrider… :dunno
Having recently experienced this change on another forum, I can say the availability of a dark theme is the only good thing about Xenforo, and this forum already had a dark alternate before as well, so I'm not sure if that's standard with all Xenforo installs.

At least 30% of the screen in Xenforo is wasted space, and there are a lot of little things that should be easy which are missing. But hey, if you browse the forum only on a phone, it might be properly designed for that....it definitely isn't properly designed for viewing on a computer.

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Having recently experienced this change on another forum, I can say the availability of a dark theme is the only good thing about Xenforo, and this forum already had a dark alternate before as well, so I'm not sure if that's standard with all Xenforo installs.
I wasn't aware this Forum had the ability to select a Dark Theme... I know it was requested a long while back but I don't remember it ever being provided. You can however select Dark Theme in the Mobile View application on your smartphone.

Bob

·
Registered
311 Posts
I wasn't aware this Forum had the ability to select a Dark Theme... I know it was requested a long while back but I don't remember it ever being provided. You can however select Dark Theme in the Mobile View application on your smartphone.
Sorry for the ambiguity, by "this forum" in my prior post I meant the other forum I frequent which changed over to Xenforo a month or so ago. That forum had a "light" and "dark" style available on the previous installation as well, so I'm not sure if that's a feature always included in Xenforo installs.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Glad to see some effort made at improving the site. I have felt for some time that it needed updating, but I am not of the computer IT type. I'll pretty much use whatever is thrown at me. Not that interested in how it works. Only that it does. ...J.D.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts