Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note: all the pics were just selected arbitrarily from the Picture Gallery thread - be sure to browse through that to see all the variants, some with customizing that makes even similar model years look quite different.

This first one is a T3 - carburettor version, 95-96 (Single headlight!!!)

This is a 97-01 series bike:
Two very distinguishable design features - the Single Side Swing Arm (SSSA) and the Twin Headlights.
And the move to Fuel Injection.
Triumph used the French Sagem controllers from 97-04 (although there was a generation change in the controller at 00 MY)

Notice the engine cover on right side is like a guitar body, one piece

97/98 T509 were 885cc

The 99-01 look virtually identical to the T509, even though the engine grew to 955cc

The 99 is an 'odd-ball' year because first year of 955 for S3, however it used the older FI control system from the T509
The 00-01 got a better FI control system

Another point is the clocks - it is a tri-cluster of gauges on the 97-01 with of all things mechanically driven speedometer (which is horribly inaccurate)
The 02+ bikes have electronic speedo (digital indication for speed, analog style clock for tach)

Next is an 02-04 955:

(nicer red IMO - all personal taste but don't care for the Pink ...... errr, I mean Nuclear Red)

Note the engine covers on the right side - now three separate covers. This is the easiest way to distinguish at quick glance.
Although you will see the plastics different, particularly the tail section.
(the 97-01 S3 had a one-piece tail, which frankly is a PITA to remove/install - the 02-04 has three pieces plus the two side panels - much easier for servicing but IMO not quite so aesthetically pleasing)

This one is a late 04 - they went to black frame right at end of the series.

All 97-04 models had three spoke wheels.

Next generation is the 1050, from 2005
Engine is essentially a stroked 955 engine but with a new engine control system.
Notable change here with the introduction of USD forks and Radial brakes
At 2005 they also switched from Sagem to Keihin Engine Control which also incorporated CANBUS Instrument communication for first time

2008 1050 got new forks & wheels & Brembo brakes & subtle re-styling

^ Notice the frame is essentially the same design all the way from 1997 through 2010

2011 saw the move away from the traditional bug-eyes to the almond eyes, a re-designed engine, completely new frame and quite different plastics.

and 2012 'R' model with upgraded Ohlins suspension
(Most immediately recognized by the red rear subframe vs the non-'R' model)

·
Super Moderator
21,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2001 MY also came in Nuclear Red

next best choice is a nice light metallic green
I think you maybe mean Roulette Green? Not metallic - more of a 'Lime' colour.
Roulette Green has been a popular colour with aficionados across the model years - you can get this on the 97-01, 02+ or even 05+ models

(colour is actually the same - the photo on the first one not truly reflecting it)

97-01

02-04

05+

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
good job abbreviating the s3 history. Triumph has always been unorthodox with their paint schemes maybe so people will look past the paint.

·
Registered
74 Posts
gentle evolution and then hideous mutation. i think it must be time for a more competitive engine in the old girl.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
there's a debate about the 2015 vs 2016 and there's not much positive there, same frame, same engine told by guys that demoed the 2016, with an admittedly sweet slipper clutch and an electronic package. Verdict the best I could filter is the 2016 didn't put the s3 back in the conversation but does have some useful changes/additions.

·
Registered
432 Posts
there's a debate about the 2015 vs 2016 and there's not much positive there, same frame, same engine told by guys that demoed the 2016, with an admittedly sweet slipper clutch and an electronic package. Verdict the best I could filter is the 2016 didn't put the s3 back in the conversation but does have some useful changes/additions.
I haven't followed the new model that closely, but what I have read has been overwhelmingly positive. A large number of small changes make the bike a fantastic all-rounder, and certainly part of the conversation in the hyper naked market.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I haven't followed the new model that closely, but what I have read has been overwhelmingly positive. A large number of small changes make the bike a fantastic all-rounder, and certainly part of the conversation in the hyper naked market.

I had a '13 Street R and considered buying a Speed for a long time. I demo-ed '13 non-R and R model Speeds and neither were enough for me to switch. Then I tried the '16 Speed R, there's now a Speed Triple in my garage. It truly is a "sum is greater than its parts" kind of bike, imo. The small changes made a big difference.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
no matter the make or model we can all agree it feels great when you find the right bike. I remember my first ride on the Storm coming from modded HD's I thought I was in heaven, then the R3r to a S3 to a SDR and I took a storm out to pass the time when they were putting a new map in the SD a couple months ago and I respect what it can do for a cruiser but after getting a bigger taste of whats out there I kinda forgot what I found so special about it, still think it's a sharp bike tho'. I had a lowrider I rebuilt twice trying to preserve the magic before giving up and I imagine 5 years from now my current pride will feel old and slow (like me), but living the moment and that's whats it's about.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You must be kidding. The new version, 2016 / 2017 is a major upgrade. Only the wheels tires are the same. The frame is modified to allow for the air intake between the new headlights.
The motor has over 100 internal changes and has improved the power and torque significantly. The seat is a new design, the tank is a new design, the tail assembly is new design and the bike has rider and TC modes included.
The new bike is a major upgrade that needs not to be ignored on this site.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've come to realise that Steve59 is a twat who doesn't even own a Triumph, and for some reason just hangs around here to bash the Speed Triple (every generation). Maybe he needs a hobby.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I've come to realise that Steve59 is a twat who doesn't even own a Triumph, and for some reason just hangs around here to bash the Speed Triple (every generation). Maybe he needs a hobby.
just living in the real world, sorry if that offends. I am hoping one of these days soon i'll have a triumph back in the stable. What I don't do on this forum is bash the people that ride, regardless of what they ride. The s3 frame remains unchanged since 2011, why that would offend someone is odd as it only means they have it right already. I read the air scoop on the new S3 was fake by reviews but can't verify. i've seen dynos for 2011-15 and 2016 go from 121 to 124 hp and all i'm doing is typing what reviews are printing and you guys are losing your sh!t. The new S3 isn't in shootouts with the ape, ktm, or bmw and when it's included in literbike contests it's qualified by stuff like "although being down on power compared to the other bikes in this test". not my words. if you pick up a bike rag you read them too so why pretend the bikes a world beater if you're happy with it?

It's been a long winter and action on the ktm forums is slow, but I didn't think I was doing any bashing here.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yawn.

Frequenting a Triumph forum just so you can keep banging on about how much better your KTM is is pathetic.

If I wanted a gaudy orange-framed dirt bike I'd be visiting KTM forums.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts