Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1995 triple, and I recently took off my rear wheel and changed my tire, only to put it all back together and have my rear brake rub badly against the rotor, preventing the wheel from freely spinning. I have tried to bleed the brakes and adjust the two cams on each side of the swing arm with no luck, just keeps on badly rubbing. I could use some help, as I just changed my tire and everything was fine before hand. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Take it off again and check that the pistons are right in. Stick a screwdriver in between to force apart, maybe piston stuck out.

·
Registered
848 Posts
You may have some brake dust buildup in your calipers. Try removing your brake pads and give the calipers a good scrubbing with some warm, soapy water using a tooth brush. Then blast the area with some compressed air before putting your pads back in.

If you really want to get serious, here is a link to a PDF file that describes how to do a full brake system service. This is from one of the gurus on the SV1000 Portal http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68917&d=1316832448

·
Registered
277 Posts
Axle pinch bolts should be the last thing done up. Do them up after plunging through the forks to make both legs parallel by pushing down on the top triple / bar mount with front brake released (not by holding the brake lever and pushing on the bars)

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
^ That's good advice but he said it was his rear tire that was giving him the problem.

You didn't hit the brake or anything when the wheel was off did you? I think taking the wheel back off and then going through the process again would be your best bet to make sure everything is OK. Try to find a factory service manual in case there is a recommended order for reassembly that can impact things like this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts