Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The UK has had its first significant snowfalls the last day or two, and it got me wondering about how you cope with ice, snow and wintry weather (if you ever get any where you are ??) and what considerations you put into your riding, and what you where.

I guess the easy answer is don't ride the bike, but for some of us there is no choice.....

I make sure i am as warm as i can be. Cold numb muscles don't work as well or react quick enough sometimes. Heated grips, plenty of layers, my Altberg boots, neck warmer and Hein Gericke waterproof winter gloves. Sam Brown belt or a 'florrie' flourescent vest over my jacket.

Check the bike over more frequently (chain oiler, brakes, lights etc)

If it is particularly grim, i let a couple of PSi from the tyres (On a Tiger this makes a big difference!)Speed and handling are not going to be an issue if its that bad...

Consciously back off and leave more space from the vehicle in front

Carry a damp cloth to clean the road salt from my visor

Hose the bike off when i get home....

What do you do?

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Besides the obvious (dressing as warmly as possible, watching the skies for impending precipitation), I don't corner nearly as aggressively. The tires don't really get up to temperature when it's really cold, so there isn't as much grip to work with. I often feel my tires when I get off the bike, and they're never as warm when it's 25 degrees F outside. Go figure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts