Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so it was 22 years ago I sold my R-100, but instincts do linger. Last month decided to spring for a new T-100: companionship for my declining years. What I can get over is an apparent lag between increasing throttle and the rear wheel digging in. Is it me or is it "shaft drive mind" and I switched to chain drive? May be my chain needs to be adjusted?

Thoughts?

Red

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Slop in the throttle cables?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, I took the slop out of the open cable, most annoying, but I didn't fool with the close cable. Now that I think about it that might be the problem. I don't feel the lag in first gear so much as when I shift into higher gears. If the throttle is not closing correctly then the chain would be going faster than the rear wheel when I shift. That would give it some slack and there you have the lag. I'll try an close cable adjustment tomorrow.

Thanks Baltobonneville!

Red

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
more likely its just the cv carbs. drilling the carb slide vacum hole out from 2.5mm to 3 may help.

·
Registered
639 Posts
"Chains of Love"...brings back fond memories...Really like the Beatles 'Live at the BBC' (AM radio quality) version of that song!

Cheers!
BLIGHT

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Lag

Its the change from shaft feeling & poss a loose chain? There is a big difference in feeling from shaft to chain!! Throttle MAY have something to do w/ it too? Ill bet the shaft feel diff!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the chain it's so close to spec it's not worth fooling with. I'll leave that until I have another 100 miles on the odo. No chance to do seerious work on the throttle cable adjustment yet, it's this day job, you understand.

Thanks for your help, all. I'll report back on the throttle cable adjust. Looks like a nice riding weekend ahead.

Red

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fixed it

I'm, finally getting around to posting this, sorry.

I was able to take the slop out of the throttle by adjusting the close cable. All is well. Had a long ride, 200+ miles, in good weather two weekends ago. What a nice motorcycle. No buyers remorse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts