Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my chain tension on the weekend, it was about 45mm to 48 mm in slackness with the bike on the side stand and no weight on the bike.Adjusted it so that it is about 35mm to 36mm again the same method with bike resting on side stand.

What is the best method, bike on side stand?.........rider on bike as some say to load the chain?..........Thought's>??

·
Registered
223 Posts
I always go towards the loose side. Now that you have adjusted your chain, sit on your bike and reach down and wiggle the chain. I bet it barely moves. If that is the case, imagine now that you are riding and the rear suspension is bouncing up and down without enough slack in the chain (it moves more that you would think). I know that my 02 daytona that was taken care of by a dealer had the countershaft seal replaced at only 1500 miles. I think the chain was way too tight and that in turn is hard on the transmission.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have given this chain tension a bit more thought, gonna run the bike for a week, it'll only be a 200 miles (+-) some, and then check it again see how it is.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The way I was told is to a line the center of the front sprocket the rear sprocket and the center of the swing arm pivot.
You may be able by sitting on the bike or you may have to remove the rear shock or loosen part of the rear suspension to do this.

When this is done you want about 20mm of movement in the chain.
When put every thing back to how it was and measure the chain slack now.
This what you want and now can check the chain any time with out have to do what is above again.
Unless you change size of sprockets or the length of the chain.
Then you have to do it again to get the new measurement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts