Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a thought whilst riding and listening to my chain flailling around.Lots of slack equals better gearchange and less whine.I think everyone agrees to that.My thought was could I fit a roller tensioner?Theese used to be fitted to trials bikes in my youth,to control the excess chain slack.My question has to be ,what do you all think,could it be done,and obviously,would it work?There I feel better now,feel free to take the p*** if necassery for my daft idea.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Superfour, yep, it could be done, and it wouldn't be too much hassle, but really is it worth it? If the chain is in good nick and lubed nicely, it shouln't be too noisy (turn up yer iPod :D). I've done 20,000kms on the original chain and sprockets and I only hear them when I'm up against a tunnel wall, or street divider. I'll live with it.

Check the Buell's they have a roller tensioner for the belt, as they don't have an adjustable axle.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
378 Posts
To be honest I agree, Why bother as I dont think they whine that much and would it really give you loads of extra life in the chain ?? The only time I had my chain really whine was when I first got the bike and over did it when adjusting the chain. My 02 has a Scottoiler on and has just been changed at 19,000 miles and to be honest the chain still had plenty of life it was just the front sprocket that was hooked.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Something to be said for SSSA!

I just swapped out my tires this past week and it was my first time fiddling with the chain tension on my new Tiger (05). I used to have a Sprint and the single sided swingarm was nice for not having to diddle with chain tension with each tire change. I know slack is better then tight for sure, and straight is much better then crooked. I think that for as much as required for time diddling, the chain tensioner wouldn't really reduce this time would it? You would still have to take the time to have the correct adjustment on the chain tensioners during set up? Does it reduce the noise...I cannot hear over my Ipod speakers. Chain life? Maybe?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys.It was an idea I had just after I bought the Tiger.Since then I have adjusted and lubed the chain,and also become more used to the various noises that the bike makes.It does sound very different to my old Thunderbird Sport.The TBS had a scottoiler fitted,and now the connector has arrived from scottoiler,I can go ahead and fit it to the Tiger.If it works as well as on the TBS then I will have no problems at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts