Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at work and so I can't look it up and it is driving me nuts.

I tighted up the chain a bit this morning and I think I might have over tensioned it. How do I loosen it up? It isn't making any odd sounds and there is still about 3/4 inch movement in it but I am new to riding and a little worried is all.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is that really it? how does that work? is the axle blocks sliding in the swing arm? what keeps them from moving forward with no tension on them?

Onto my next more important question what is the chain slack I should see in the middle of the sprocket and final drive sprocket? right now it looks to be around 1/2 to 3/4 slack more toward the 1/2 side. is that to tight?

Sorry for the hassle. freak'n noobs (thats me) should read the manual before posting questions (but I am at work and not one has the manual online for some reason)?

maybe someone has a online step by step tech on chain tension on the modern classics?

Dayton,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, that's basically it. You didn't mention what bike you're talking about, so I'll go with the book I have on hand. The Triumph Scrambler is supposed to have .98" to 1.37" of vertical movement.

To adjust, loosen the axle nut and then turn the adjusters and equal amount to get the proper amount of slack in the chain. If you are trying to loosen the chain (increase the movement), you will probably have to bump the wheel forward after you loosen the adjusters as it doesn't normally slide forward on it's own.

Check the alignment markings on the adjusters to make sure they are both in the same position relative to the frame. This is usually, but not always completely, accurate. It is important that the chain tracks properly on the sprocket, in other words, the sprocket should run in the center of the chain. With the bike on the center stand, spin the rear wheel and let it stop on it's own. If the sprocket is off center in the chain, then tweak with one adjuster slightly to change the angle of the wheel and try again. Repeat until the chain runs true on the sprocket. Recheck the slack and if correct, tighten the axle nut. It should be torqued to 63lb/ft on the Scrambler. Recheck slack and trueness as things can change when you tighten the axle.

By the way, I learned the "center sprocket in chain" thing from a life long motorcycle mechanic. He was also my dad.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Chain

When I adjust- I will tighten & then give the clutch a good pop or a littkle wqack w/ a hammer just to make sure all is snug. Tighten now 1-2x/ yr. Try it - it works good!

·
Registered
135 Posts
i think the manual says my speedy should have around 25mm of slack.. i like things a lil on the tight side, as she has that terrible lag when i hit the throttle if the chain loosens up even a little... so i probably keep mine a lil tighter.. maybe 20mm. shouldnt do any harm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts