Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to keep our forum bubbling along.

I have forgotten from past experience just what life to expect from a chain and sprocket on a 650 Bonnie. I know there are many variables, but assuming the parts are well cared for what would be a ball park figure, mileagewise?

No doubt many of you will have worn out a chain or two and so give me some help here.

Many thanks. RR

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
According to the notes I have in my manual I would change the chain at approx. 12000m and the sprockets at 24000m. Thats on a T140. Ordinary 5/8 x 3/8 Renold or similar chain, no fancy O ring stuff.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Since the life of both is largely determined by the level of maintenence afforded, seems as though a good plan is routine inspection and replacement when excessive wear shows.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you daveforty and davidc for your replys.

I had a dealer tell me 20,000klms which would have come from a manual as well. I thought this was a very conservative figure and had in my mind a real world figure of perhaps twice this distance.

Perhaps I figure wrong. Time will tell.

RR

·
Registered
223 Posts
Several of the guys have reported that chain and sprocket life are both extended if at least one of the sprockets has a "prime" number of teeth. ( "Prime" number is one that is divisible evenly only by itself and the number 1.)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have one that 40 years old both chain and sprocket!!

it depends on how you take care off it . how much riding, to tight to loose. etc

oh ya the 40 year old chain,sprocket see very very little riding

that bike just sits and sits.

'68 with 1500 miles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts