Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I can finish replacing the chain and sprocket this week, what is the best way to determine slack? On side stand? With rider on the bike? I've read it's messured in the middle, between both sprockets, and that it should be 25-30mm, does that mean 12.5-15mm in each direction?

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
You can do it on either the side stand or the center stand, if you have one. both unload the rear suspension pretty much completely. And, yes, 12.5mm either side of center. Rotate the wheel to find the section of chain with the least slack.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So job is done, but I did not find it trivial to check the slack. When on the sidestand and pushing the chain down with my finger, it measured 12-14mm slack, which should be OK. However, the weight of the chain is making it hang down and if I push it up insead, I can push it way way longer than 12-14. Maybe I'm overthinking it? This is how it looks on the sidestand:

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
That is way too loose. In the first picture you can already see it sagging. First, tighten it just until there is no noticeable sag, then pull it all the way down and measure from there to all the way up. Total should be 25-30mm. The point is not to get equal amounts up and down, rather that the total of the two is in the range.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
What I do is pull down on the chain in the center point between the counter shaft and rear sprocket and let it go back up to resting. Then push up to see what the slack measures and adjust from there.

Apparently exactly what WSC told you to do :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for input, chain now more or less measures exactly 30mm from lowest to highest position. Gear change is so much smoother now compared to the stretched out old chain (was too loose, even on last setting of the rear wheel, all the way back).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts