Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the weekend I changed my chain and sprockets. I read somewhere that the best way to determine the optimum chain "slack" is to set it to 10mm or so when the sprocket centres and swingarm pivot centre are all aligned, at which point the sprockets are the maximum distance apart.

As luck would have it, all 3 centres were aligned with the bike on the lift and the shock on full extension. My shock is not standard and this might be a factor.

With the bike back on the side stand the slack is barely 20mm. The Haynes manual specifies 25-35mm so not far off, but tighter than I have ever run it before.

Logic suggests that as the shock compresses, chain slack will increase not tighten so 20mm should be fine. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I run mine at 15mm (sat on the bike) and it's fine. Gear changing is nice, very minimal clunking, and much nicer feel when backing off / throttling on.

Don't care what the manual says, and not bothered about ruining my output bearing - hasn't happened yet and if it does then at least I'll have something to do & complain about :D.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
How do you measure it Arfer if your sat on the bike?
Do you have really long arms?
Yup, long thin and bendy - girls love 'em ;).

It's a long drawn out process - first I set a set-square on the floor and setup my camera to face it and start it recording a video, then I sit on the bike and jump up & down so I can see the lower level of play.

Then review the video to get a rough idea of what it's doing. Not 100% accurate sadly, but good enough methinks :D.

Reactions: CharlieS

·
Registered
993 Posts
Arfer are you serious are your measuring technique? You might have to post those videos up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts