Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm a big boy - should I up my chain slack settings to say, 50 mm? I don't want to overstress it since i compress the suspension more than probably the idealized rider they designed it for.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've read of guys on the other forum that run with 50mm slack.

Sounds OTT to me.

I occasionally run with a pillion. Our combined weight must put us in " big Boy " territory. Never had any issues with 40-45mm slack.

Try 50mm, scratch the itch, you can always tighten it a bit if it's too slack.

JJ

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I set it for 40(ish) so we'll see how it does.

Honestly I didn't find it particularly easy to adjust the chain slack. Sure it's easy to turn the bolt, but I found actually measuring the slack kind of difficult - not helped by the fact that I don't have a metric ruler. 40mm by the way is NOT a lot of slack.

I may remove a link from the chain and try again - the chain is long and obviously not the one that came with the bike, that is unless Triumph ships the bike with a blue master link.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
According to the OEM Service Manual the correct adjustment for the 1050 Tiger = 35-40 mm. Note that 40 mm = 1.574798 inches: In other words a little over 1.5 inches.

While the Triumph recommends 35-40 mm for the 1050 Tiger, for many superbikes with limited rear travel it is as little as 25 mm. Indeed, even the latest Speed III is 21-30 mm.

The OEM drive chain has a riveted link. As far as I am aware Triumph fit RK chain. If you intend taking out a link, it would be my suggestion that you obtain the exact replacement and use the proper riveting tool. I use the DID tool. It is in my opinion the best on the market. Others of course are free to differ :)

HTH

·
Registered
351 Posts
You might find it easier if you forget trying to measure the slack with a ruler.

You can gauge the tension by pushing the chain upwards towards the underside of the top swingarm. If it touches there is too much slack. Too much of a gap between chain and swingarm means it's too tight. You seem to get a feel for what is just right. Doesn't sound very scientific, I know, but it works for me.

I rarely need to adjust my chain but always check it using the method described above. The dealer mechanic knows Tiger's like them slack.

I was glad to see the back of the OE chain. Always thought it was a bit of cheap cr*p Triumph fitted to keep the bikes' price down. New DID chain is heaps better.

I think I remember a blue outer link on my OE chain. Not absolutely sure. So yours could be original ? Perhaps someone with an original chain may chime in and confirm.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the OEM Service Manual the correct adjustment for the 1050 Tiger = 35-40 mm. Note that 40 mm = 1.574798 inches: In other words a little over 1.5 inches.

While the Triumph recommends 35-40 mm for the 1050 Tiger, for many superbikes with limited rear travel it is as little as 25 mm. Indeed, even the latest Speed III is 21-30 mm.

The OEM drive chain has a riveted link. As far as I am aware Triumph fit RK chain. If you intend taking out a link, it would be my suggestion that you obtain the exact replacement and use the proper riveting tool. I use the DID tool. It is in my opinion the best on the market. Others of course are free to differ :)

HTH

shouldn't be a problem taking out the link, I've done it many a time.

Haven't had a proper road test yet though, been raining or threatening to rain off and on all weekend, so won't know anything until I get a few dozen miles under her.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm a fairly big guy too, and set my chain at 45mm, otherwise I get a vibration through the pegs. Metric rulers are cheap; buy one at CVS or Rite-Aid next time you're there. Factory chains do have a blue master link, by the way, and if you think you need to remove a link, maybe yours is stretched???? How many miles?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts