Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there!

according to the owners manual the Bonnie has a 525 chain and sprocks

has anyone upgraded to 530, they seem more common elsewhere and usually cheaper

any adverse affects? will they fit?

not that I need any yet, just asking for later

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Don't know the model/year of yours but note that some of the last aircooled Bonnies were fitted with a smaller 520 chain.

Triumph 865 Bonneville from Engine No. 695708
Triumph 865 Thruxton from engine No 695705

All others had a 525VM2

·
Registered
1998 T595 Daytona 2014 Kawasaki Ninja1000ABS
7,990 Posts
The 530 chain/sprocket is heavier and usually reserved for liter bikes or larger. Don't see any reason to go that route if even possible. The 525 will last a long time if kept cleaned and adjusted properly. I was surprised to see my Ninja1000 had a 525 chain vs the 530. Less reciprocating mass equals better acceleration, as they say.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
You don't need a 530 on this bike, in fact the 525 is overkill as it is. I would consider going the other way with the 520 for weight savings, 520 more then adequate for this bike. Some of the Sport bikes are running 520 chains these days. They are getting away from those heavier chains. I think more to do with MPG situations, since they are all competing for MPG war. Notice Honda advertising the mpg specs on most of the bikes these days.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
For some reason this year Honda switched to a new DID520VO chain on many bikes.

Not sure what the "VO" stand for at the end of the part number, something to do with MPG increase requirements on the euro market.

I think we will see the Bonneville in the future getting those 520 chains. Being driven by MPG probably and the fact the metals tech just flat out better these days with the chains. It's an easy way for them to get a couple more MPG out of the bike, without engine changes, which are very expensive.

·
Registered
655 Posts
For some reason this year Honda switched to a new DID520VO chain on many bikes.

Not sure what the "VO" stand for at the end of the part number, something to do with MPG increase requirements on the euro market.

I think we will see the Bonneville in the future getting those 520 chains. Being driven by MPG probably and the fact the metals tech just flat out better these days with the chains. It's an easy way for them to get a couple more MPG out of the bike, without engine changes, which are very expensive.

VO may refer to a particular grade of chain sold by DID that is labeled VO in their application list.

http://www.didchain.com/chainSpecs.html

Changing to a 520 from 525 will definitely save some weight, (I'm doing it on my bike), but the OP will need to buy
a grade of chain with strong enough side plates to handle the torque. Not all chain is created equal, even from
one manufacturer.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
That chart didn't list the VO chain for some reason, could be an old chart maybe?

I don't know if this VO thing is new or what? I've seen O for o ring and x for x ring but VO is new to me.

Honda likes this VO chain for some reason.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Look again at the chart. Under "Professional O-Ring V", it lists 520VO chain. As for Honda, it's probably the usual reason: they got
a good price!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't know the model/year of yours but note that some of the last aircooled Bonnies were fitted with a smaller 520 chain.

Triumph 865 Bonneville from Engine No. 695708
Triumph 865 Thruxton from engine No 695705

All others had a 525VM2
mines an '08 and the engine number is below whats listed so must be a 525 chain, and it also says so in the owners handbook

other posters are saying the chain going to 520 is to save weight and fuel consumption

the weight savings would be less than a dump I reckon?

so no one gone 530?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Nope. I went to a 520 chain set...can hardly keep the front wheel on the ground now.

The only guy running a 530 chain set that I know of did so when he put Dymag wheels on his machine and that's what was available to fit the bolt pattern on the wheel...

YMMV,

--Rich

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
I had a 530 on my bike. I only used it because the sprocket on the Dymag came on the rim when it was built for me. If you can find an after market rear sprocket for the Bonnie in 530, you are golden. The CS sprocket from a modern Triumph Trophy can be found at your dealer. It's a 530. Also an exact fit as all the early modern Triumphs including Bonnie's share the same shaft in the tranny. It IS quite a bit heavier than a 525, a little wider,but I had no clearance issues with the wider rim and tire, and looked pretty beefy from the side.lol

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Let it also be known that GSXR sprockets are a straight fit on the rear and R1 & Fireblade sprockets fit the front (although they require a few minutes on a lathe). Very easy to get these cheaply in 520 sizes (or at least cheaply compared to a "520 chain & sprocket kit for Bonneville/Thruxton/Scrambler kit"), and you can use the Gearing Commander website to work out what gearing you want...

Tim

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
i am slowly getting ready to add SCBonne's very nice sidecar to my 2012 cast wheel bonnie, i went to bigger + taller bias tyres for their stiffness + xtra weight rating, i love the clean running belt i have for 4,000 miles but may need to gear down, the taller 150-70 already geared me up a little + a sidecar adding drag may call for a change. seen some nice 520 kits as mentioned on this forum, i need sprocks anyhow as i sold mine. wondering x vs o ring chains strength + longevity comparisons

·
Registered
193 Posts
Guys, my Bonnie 2016 has 520(Sunstar 43T) from factory. Did anyone else had that from factory? My manual does mention DID 525vm or DID 520vm. In the manual spec sheet it says Bonnveille and Bonnveille SE . - DID 525vm or DID 520vm. Does that means Bonnveille was fitted with 525 and Bonnveille SE with 520? If thats the case then I should have 525 as mine is not Bonnveille SE. Or is it that they could come fitted with either of them?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Guys, my Bonnie 2016 has 520(Sunstar 43T) from factory. Did anyone else had that from factory? My manual does mention DID 525vm or DID 520vm. In the manual spec sheet it says Bonnveille and Bonnveille SE . - DID 525vm or DID 520vm. Does that means Bonnveille was fitted with 525 and Bonnveille SE with 520? If thats the case then I should have 525 as mine is not Bonnveille SE. Or is it that they could come fitted with either of them?
Sometime 2015 Triumph changed to 520. As far as I'm aware on all the Bonneville model range, timing most likely depended upon stock held and the fact that the new models are 520.......... :wink2:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sometime 2015 Triumph changed to 520. As far as I'm aware on all the Bonneville model range, timing most likely depended upon stock held and the fact that the new models are 520.......... :wink2:
Thanks mate, that's a bit of weight off for tonight until I see a same Bonnie with 520 in my city:smile2:.

Cheers

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
to the OP, (hey, I am the OP!)

I'm about to fit a 530 chain and 530 front sprocket, but use the existing rear 525 sprocket

reason being is the rear sprocket is still in good condition

other reason 530 chain is cheaper and I got it on special

and the front 530 sprocket being wider (by an 1/8") has a larger bearing surface area where it engages onto the counter-shaft sprocket splines

my counter-shaft sprocket spline is showing signs of wear where the sprocket mates and I would say that would be a bigger issue for the narrow 520 sprocket which is only 1/4" wide

525 = 5/16" wide
530 = 3/8" wide

1 - 20 of 32 Posts