Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Scott vacuum oiler on my Futura but don't like it. Does anyone have a better option for the T800?

·
30,462 Posts
I was thinking of fitting a scottoiler over winter, but using the electronic one instead of the vacuum one.

I've never tried a loobman or any of the others, so don't have a recommendation in that regard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I wanted to hear. My vacuum unit has never worked dependably and is hard to adjust. The vacuum unit may work better on the Tiger due to the bad placement choices available on my Ape.

·
Super Moderator
2,961 Posts
I hear a lot of talk about these and I've never owned one. What is the advantage to it over just lubing your chain after a long ride?

·
30,462 Posts
There are many who claim increased chain life through using these.

I used one on a ZX1100, and it sure kept the chain clean. Saves mucking about with oily rags.

I can't really claim I increased the chain life, I didn't ride that bike enough to ever change the chain.

Oilers are not cheap.

Kind of a neat gadget - depends what kind of things you like. I've been thinking about putting one on the Tiger because I get the chain very dirty, so it seems like it would save me some cleaning effort. Good on long tours too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear a lot of talk about these and I've never owned one. What is the advantage to it over just lubing your chain after a long ride?
Not having to lube your chain after a long, tiring ride! Having your chain lubed while riding in the rain...and more.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Loobman works okay, but it's kind of messy from the fling on the back wheel. Squeezing the bottle doesn't always give you the same amount every time and it'll drip at stops. I recently removed mine.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have the PD oiler on my Xc and Speedy, easy to fit works on electrics not vacuum, once dialled in very little mess, I can really recommend it, do a search a few peeps on here use it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
griz...can you post a pic of your PD Oiler so we can see where you mounted it? Their web site doesn't offer much about mounting placement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've used a scotoiler on a cbf 1000 to very good effect.
Chain lube is'nt cheap and who wants to carry it around .
Also not too easy to get at the inside of the chain

on a 800 Roadie. You would nearly pay for an oiler system
over a year,with the amount of cans needed.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have never installed an automatic oiler on a bike, and never will. Personal choice.

The reason is the mess and the cost of the units. Of those I lknow who have them, their bikes' rear wheels, sprockets, chain guides, everything near the chain is covered in perma-grime. Given that I might get up to 2X the life out of a $100 chain and get a messy bike doing it, I just can't justify the modification nor cost of it.

I'm no clean freak chain lube nut either. In 6 months and 4300 miles that I've owned my Tiger 800, I've washed my bike ONCE and lubed the chain 4 times. Just yesterday was the first cleaning with lubrication, and it took me less than 10 minutes to do both.

I'm still working on a can of Motorex 611 cleaner and can of Motorex 622 chain lube that I bought 3 years ago. That's not much money. I've replaced the chain on my Sprint RS at 18,000 and 42,000 miles (with sprockets then) with similar chain maintenance, which is acceptable to me. I don't know the cost of those units for certain, but I believe I'm within a negligible difference in total cost-per-mile of bikes with the oilers.

I've pondered why no motorcycle manufacturer offers an automatic chain lubricator as either standard nor optional equipment. To each their own.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've pondered why no motorcycle manufacturer offers an automatic chain lubricator as either standard nor optional equipment.
That's a good question. All my early bikes were shaft drive, and I thought adding an auto oiler to my chain drive bike would be a smart thing. I'm probably guilty of over maintaining my chain and need to lighten-up! What about off road bikes that spend most of their life in the dirt? I don't hear much about chain/sprocket problems due to the dirty environment they spend their life in. My Futura spends 95% of its life on pavement, so should I just not get excited about chain maintenance?

·
30,462 Posts
From what I have read, on modern O ring chains, it doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of difference what you do to the chain. From people who do nothing to those who carefully kerosene clean and lube their chains - life doesn't seem dramatically altered.

I have heard claims that chain oilers make chains last longer - but have not seen real evidence of it.

Which is why I haven't spent the money on one yet. Still just giving my chains a wipe with a rag soaked in 80/90 gear oil about every 600 miles, and they last as long as any other method I have used, and stay looking fairly clean.

Good enough for me. But having it automatically done would be OK too.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've been using this after rides about every 500/600 miles.
chain-saver.jpg
or the spray.

No cast off and it's fairly dry so stuff doesn't really stick. That's a good thing cause I'm pretty bad about actually cleaning the chain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To be fair the Scot boiler I had, could be turned right down.
Not leaving that much mess.
The no fling grease seems to be worse for mess
and for attaching grit .
I got my scotoiler for 35 euro the cost of three cans of grease.
I've heard the oily rag method is effective if done after each ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Scotoiler e-system fitted to my Tiger 800XC, works like a charm. Main digital control panel is located under the clocks using the standard Scotoiler bracket. Scotoiler sent me a free Tiger specific bracket to route the injector onto the chain! I have the cables neatly routed along existing Tiger cable runs, so you can't see any of them.

Great system, keeps chain in good condition (only new on my tiger, but had it fitted to my previous bike!)! Thumbs up for thew Scotoiler e-system.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had a Scottoiler on my Sv1000s and it became a PITA filling up the cartridge. I ride about 20k a year and one ride was 10 straight 560 mile days. I got a quickstand to jack up the rear so I could spin the tire and spray on chain lube. Quickstand is compact and easy to use.

·
Registered
24 Posts
scottoiler e

Hey London biker, sounds like a neat job.
Do you need to run twin lube pipes with this system.

Cognosticator the quick stand is it very portable
And where can you get them ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts