Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Good document. That link is worth keeping for future reference. We get lots of enquiries about the different oilers and that will answer most of them. Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are welcome.

I know that chain maintenance ranks up there with engine oil and tyre preference in terms of personal choice, but having seen the long term savings that an oiler can produce I think that they are worthy of consideration.

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
The only issue I'd have with the Tutoro system is that I'm really rather forgetful and know that I would come out to the garage to find I'd forgotten to turn it off and have a lovely puddle of oil all over my rear tyre. That's why I've got a Scottoiler!

·
Registered
36 Posts
An interesting test of what's out there:

the TUTORO system is interesting. I've got one coming so it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Scottoiler on the Thruxton.
Did you go for the twin or single feed. I'm looking forward to reading what you think. I have been thinking of getting it for my Bonnie SE but unsure of the feed to select, anyone have the Tutoro on a Bonnie?

·
Premium Member
2009 Bonnevile SE
4,869 Posts
Having to turn off the system seems a bit of a downside to me. I know I'd forget to do that fairly often. :(

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Having to turn off the system seems a bit of a downside to me. I know I'd forget to do that fairly often. :(
That's the reason I didn't even fit mine. Same with the Loobman, on that you have to remember to squeeze some oil from the cheapo plastic bottle onto the delivery hose...The Scottoiler is automatic, all you have to do is re-fill it every now and then.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The kit comes with both single and double spigots. I'll fit whichever one works best. Yes, having to remember to turn it off might be an issue. However if it does the job as well as the Scottoiler then the fact it is simpler and a fraction of the cost might offset that. Small reminder on your ignition key ring perhaps?

I remain to be convinced, being a Scottoiler fan. Now, where did I put the rubber bung that blanks off the vacuum spigot that the Scottoiler taps into?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
The kit comes with both single and double spigots. I'll fit whichever one works best. Yes, having to remember to turn it off might be an issue. However if it does the job as well as the Scottoiler then the fact it is simpler and a fraction of the cost might offset that. Small reminder on your ignition key ring perhaps?
Their website now suggests that the kits don't include both feeds, buy either single or dual feed kit. Anyway, I'll be interested to read which one you think works best.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
are these systems designed to be mounted to the bike full time?
The trick is to find a place that is unobtrusive, but which gives easy access for replenishing the oil container. I mounted my Scottoiler on the right rear frame down tube so that it sits above the swingarm.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Yes. They can be turned on or off as required, or the rate of oil delivery adjusted, but the things stay on.
I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but what would be wrong with me taking some chain spray and a rag - lube the chain with the rag keeping things tidy? That's the way I do it on my mountain bike. I'm assuming these devices are conveniences?

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but what would be wrong with me taking some chain spray and a rag - lube the chain with the rag keeping things tidy? That's the way I do it on my mountain bike. I'm assuming these devices are conveniences?
exactly!

thats all I do and my last chain and sprockets lasted 48,000 kilometers. the auto oilers are more relevant for the old style non 'O' or 'X' ring chain.

but each to their own

·
Registered
126 Posts
I rode 13500km's last summer, so lets calculate:

13500/500=27

I would of needed to lube my chain 27 times in that time (almost twice a week). Went the whole season with a single fill of the "oiler".

The driving season is very short here in Finland, so the oiler is justified.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When you consider you should oil the chain when it is warm/hot and not cold. This means ideally you clean the excess muck of the chain, ride it a bit then oil it. Also if you ride in the wet (even a little) the chain manufacturers recommend you then clean the chain and re-oil. With an auotmatic oiler you don't need to worry about most of this. The oil is delvered when the chain is hot and is re-oiled when riding in the rain etc. My past bikes I never changed a chain after using an auto-oiler. Even a litre sports bike with 60,000+km on it. Ok a quality chain and using oil rather than grease/lube probably helped.

I have an old motrax unit which I haven't fitted yet as I can't find a real nice place to hide it. The sports bikes had space under the "easy-open" seats.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Same here. I'm thrilled to bits with my Scottoiler. The chain is not only kept clean and oily, but it also translates into quiet, smooth running and I've forgotten the last time I had to adjust it.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Thanks for the replies - good info. I'm thinking of getting the one the article recommends, if only I can find it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.