Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently bought a Thunderbird 900, really happy. Fantastic motorcycle. It has this automatic chain oiler thingy attached to a passenger peg. With a lot to discuss re the bike during purchase I didn't really ask many questions about it and figured google would reveal all. However, Google seems quite vague on details etc. Can anyone fill me in on this gizmo and more importantly tell me if its worth its while or should I remove it and get an aerosol spray lube. I do recall the seller saying it gets messy....(pics attached if you have no idea what Im talking about!)
Thanks in advance,

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dont recognise that one, has it got a makers name?
Oilers are a contentious subject. I think they’re great, chain is cleaner and lasts longer. Some people hate them, saying theyre dirty and put oil on the tyre.
They do need the flow rate set carefully but i think it’s better than sticky chain lube.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I agree with everything DonTheMan says. I have a scottoiler and am very pleased with it. Don't recognize the one on your bike. Some are vacuum activated, some electric, some rely on vibration and some use a manual pump that the rider has to pump every so often. The important thing is the flow rate. Setting it will vary depending on oil weight and temperature, but set right there will be very little to none on the tire/wheel. Certainly less than the fling from spray on lube.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I agree with everything DonTheMan says. I have a scottoiler and am very pleased with it. Don't recognize the one on your bike. Some are vacuum activated, some electric, some rely on vibration and some use a manual pump that the rider has to pump every so often. The important thing is the flow rate. Setting it will vary depending on oil weight and temperature, but set right there will be very little to none on the tire/wheel. Certainly less than the fling from spray on lube.
The guy I bought my Sprint ST from gave me a scottOiler in a box, with all the hardware, that the original owner purchased. It looks like it was installed at some point. Where did you attach yours for it’s vacuum source? I would like to put this on my bike, but I am not thrilled about removing the plastic fuel tank to enable hooking it up.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Hello, I am assuming you have the vacuum operated one. It can be tapped into any vacuum line. However many bikes including (probably) yours will have a plugged off vacuum port most likely on the intake manifold which you may or may not be able to get to without removing the tank. I have a 800 Tiger and was able to get to it without removing the tank. Don't know about yours. If you have an electrically operated one you will need to find a switched 12v source.
BTW I live cross town from you in Irmo.
Jim

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Hello, I am assuming you have the vacuum operated one. It can be tapped into any vacuum line. However many bikes including (probably) yours will have a plugged off vacuum port most likely on the intake manifold which you may or may not be able to get to without removing the tank. I have a 800 Tiger and was able to get to it without removing the tank. Don't know about yours. If you have an electrically operated one you will need to find a switched 12v source.
BTW I live cross town from you in Irmo.
Jim
I wish mine were electric. That would make it much easier.

Irmo, well aquatinted with the area. You haven’t moved to Liitle Mountain or Newberry like everyone else? :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
ive had a couple of loobmans. (1St one about 20 years ago!!)
I found that chain saw oil worked for me.
they are a very simple idea, so for a budget oiler work well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts