Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Hawke oiler that started dripping oil on my chain while the bike was parked in the garage.

I took a look (expecting an air leak in the system) and found that the check valve had failed.

It only takes a bit of grit to hold it open and the oil was siphoning from the reservoir to the dripper nozzle.

The cure was a cheap plastic aquarium check valve from Walmart. It's a rubber duckbill type that requires a bit of pressure to open, so it's ideal for the Hawke pump system.

So... if anybody has a dripper that dripping when it shouldn't be, try the Walmart solution. :-D

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got a Hawke oiler that started dripping oil on my chain while the bike was parked in the garage.

I took a look (expecting an air leak in the system) and found that the check valve had failed.

It only takes a bit of grit to hold it open and the oil was siphoning from the reservoir to the dripper nozzle.

The cure was a cheap plastic aquarium check valve from Walmart. It's a rubber duckbill type that requires a bit of pressure to open, so it's ideal for the Hawke pump system.

So... if anybody has a dripper that dripping when it shouldn't be, try the Walmart solution. :-D

Jim
Good thing to watch for. Just ordered a Hawke device...

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just so you know, the $2 rubber flap type check valve from the Walmart pet department leaked too.

I finally went to a real pet shop and spent the $5 on a good spring-loaded check valve. No problems since.

Also, I've learned that on a rainy day the Hawke oiler will do a pretty good job of flinging oil all over the windshield of a tailgater at about 50 mph. Very handy feature! :D

Jim

·
Registered
252 Posts
Also, I've learned that on a rainy day the Hawke oiler will do a pretty good job of flinging oil all over the windshield of a tailgater at about 50 mph.
Now THAT'S an upgrade worth doing!

But does it only work on rainy days?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Chain Oilers

Loobman. $NZ65. Frustrating to fit but once done and set up thats it. Manually operated, by squeezing the bottle each 6-700 miles. Run a mixture of 50/50 engine-chainsaw bar oil increasing the % of bar oil as the weather warms up. So very simple and effective with no leaks.

Don't know if the Hawke is availiable in NZ but the Scott Oiler is, at almost $300 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts