Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
As for what should you use it is a matter of personal preference. I choose to use hypoid gear oil. (sparingly)

I find it lubricates and protects well and cheaply. I have tried waxes and sprays but prefer to use gear oil, a little and often. I always apply a few drops and work it in with a rag so as to restrict throw off. The manual says every 500 miles I believe, I choose to do it when it is dry not stick to numbers.

No doubt others will have other ideas, do what you think best and works for you.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I like the white sprays for normal use. On the road, I take along a small squeeze bottle of 90 wt gear oil and grab a paper towel to wipe down the chain. I lube the chain after riding in bad rain or wet conditions or real dusty conditions. The rain conditions happen a lot along the Gulf Coast so I lube a lot more often than every 500 miles.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I clean the chain with WD 40, wipe it down with an old rag, then spray on chain lube for o rings...I use PJ blue that I got from newbonneville.com but any will work...stop at a local shop and buy some....Every 500 miles

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
I do the same as Doctorjay, works for me.

PS (edit) I do the chain after a ride, while it's warm, wipe it down after applying the lube, then I put the bike away for the night. With PJ Blue (at least), this means very little fling-off.

[ This message was edited by: Baltobonneville on 2007-03-12 21:19 ]

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I use WD for cleanig too. I really like the wax for lube. No muss no fuss. So far so good 6k on the clock & only 1 adjust :cool:

·
Registered
980 Posts
You can get a chain wax spray at any motorcycle shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts