Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Chain oil/wax

6K views 51 replies 33 participants last post by  DriftlessRider 
#1 ·
What does everyone use on their chain? I've been using this stuff because it doesn't flick oil all over my back wheel: Maxima Chain Wax - RevZilla

Now I'm wondering if it does as good a job as regular chain lube does maintaining the chain. Thoughts?

#14 ·
Every 600 miles after a ride, while the chain is hot, I wrap my chain in bacon. I let it sit overnight to cure. The next day when I ride, I have to admit, there is a bit of a mess. But it smells wonderful, and my chain last a very long time.
That sounds great until all the neighborhood dogs chase you down the road nipping at your ankles!

#20 ·
I haven't bought that thin cut vacuum wrapped stuff for years. With the fake "maple" and "hickory" flavorings. Well worth spending a few extra dollars on the thick cut stuff at the deli counter. And with the extra meat thickness you can really press it into the chain, so it holds better and lubricates the o-rings better.

Sorry for going off-topic, but also if you mix a quarter cup bacon grease with a quart of dyno motorcycle oil, the product is the equivalent of full-syn moto oil. And it smells better.

And more off-topic: I'm having a hell of a time keeping the raccoons and opossums out of my garage. Any tips for that?

#23 ·
I wipe mine with an ATF soaked rag. Once a week (5-600 miles) or after riding in the rain, if I remember. I'm getting 20-25k miles out of the cheap Bikemaster X-ring chains I use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#26 ·
What does everyone use on their chain? I've been using this stuff because it doesn't flick oil all over my back wheel: Maxima Chain Wax - RevZilla

Now I'm wondering if it does as good a job as regular chain lube does maintaining the chain. Thoughts?
DuPont Chainsaver. By far the finest I have used in 52 year of bikes. Easy, zero mess, clean chain, no junk getting on the wheel. Cheap.

#27 ·
I have 25,000 miles plus on my 093 100 and I have never used any kind of chain lube as these are sealed chains with Greece already in them.I am also running original sprockets and they look fine. I live in Oregon in the rainy side of the state and the chain is wet for at least six months out of the year.

#29 ·
Not sure there is a vegetarian alternative. I tried wrapping my chain in kale. Because I didn't know what else to do with kale. It didn't work. Still don't know what to do with kale.

Daughter tells me that it is vegan to use bacon, if you get the pig's permission first. But in order to get the pig's permission, it needs to be sentient. So that's a roadblock. Always interesting to chat with my daughter, I always learn something new.

#31 ·

I used kerosene to clean and DuPont Chain Wax to lube on my Kawasaki Versys chain. The triumph mechanic where I bought my 2018 Bonneville Speedmaster dissuaded me on using kerosene to clean the chain on I’ll take suggestions here as well.

#35 ·
My good friend Russ and I have been using ACF50 with fantastic results. He has a ST and I have a GT. Russ has 40K+ miles on his bike. I have 10K. The chains stay absolutely spotless. No build-up of gunk and dirt. The chain easily wipes clean. The swingarm, frame and wheel is also a simple cleanup. We have had several people ask us how our chains stay so clean.... ACF50!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.