Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone use on their chain? I've been using this stuff because it doesn't flick oil all over my back wheel: Maxima Chain Wax - RevZilla

Now I'm wondering if it does as good a job as regular chain lube does maintaining the chain. Thoughts?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Been using Maxima chain wax for five years on my Thruxton, it works great. I ran out once and bought some Honda branded chain lube which splattered all over my wheel and chain guard.

·
Registered
232 Posts
By the way, I started using a Grease Ninja for chain lubing. It’s $15 worth of “I could make this myself “ but makes lubing less messy than spraying from the can even with the straw.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I clean mine with any good chain cleaner (Motol, Muc-off, etc) and lube it with Amsoil Chain Lube. It doesn't fling off and does a good job.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Every 600 miles after a ride, while the chain is hot, I wrap my chain in bacon. I let it sit overnight to cure. The next day when I ride, I have to admit, there is a bit of a mess. But it smells wonderful, and my chain last a very long time.
That sounds great until all the neighborhood dogs chase you down the road nipping at your ankles!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Every 600 miles after a ride, while the chain is hot, I wrap my chain in bacon. I let it sit overnight to cure. The next day when I ride, I have to admit, there is a bit of a mess. But it smells wonderful, and my chain last a very long time.
Any particular brand of bacon? I want be certain I get the full 600 miles from each wrap. 🥓

·
Driftless Admin
11,435 Posts
I haven't bought that thin cut vacuum wrapped stuff for years. With the fake "maple" and "hickory" flavorings. Well worth spending a few extra dollars on the thick cut stuff at the deli counter. And with the extra meat thickness you can really press it into the chain, so it holds better and lubricates the o-rings better.

Sorry for going off-topic, but also if you mix a quarter cup bacon grease with a quart of dyno motorcycle oil, the product is the equivalent of full-syn moto oil. And it smells better.

And more off-topic: I'm having a hell of a time keeping the raccoons and opossums out of my garage. Any tips for that?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts